Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Timmy
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Timmy will be 2 in March 2010 and he weighs 25 pounds. I did receive AKC paperwork from the breeder for his Mom and Dad, though she never registered the litter.

My husband and I question if he is a true Havanese. He looks like a Havanese and from reading threads in this forum, he acts like a Havanese.

Is there a reason he would be over the normal weight limit? He is definitely not over weight. He is very solid and sturdy.

·
LINDA
6,496 Posts
There are a lot of bigger havs out there. You might have the biggest here though:)
Havs vary in size. To give you an example I have a female who is 6lbs, male who is 17, and another male who is 16. The boys need to lose a pound but they are on the bigger size.

Also, there is no weight limit. Standard height is 8 1/2 inches to 11 1/2 inches. I think thats correct. If your dog is big boned he could weigh that much for sure. My Scudder is built like a line backer. He is short only stands 9 1/2 inches and only 15 inches long but weighs 17 lbs! He's very muscular but not fat. I can feel his ribs but he could stand to lose a pound. So he's compact but big boned and weighs more that Fred who is 2 inches taller. Although, Fred is only 14 inches long. There are so many body types, so weight can vary.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
Welcome to the Forum……..I have seen larger Havanese. Timmy's weight/size may not the normal but does not mean he is not pure Havanese. I believe the standard has been amended in the last couple of years to make the size more uniform. There are been some that were considered too tiny and some too large. We have a variety on the Forum. Some large, some small, cotton coats, silk coats, wavy coats, curly coats but they are all Havanese, the personality and capacity to love is the consistency that I see.

·
Timmy
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your posts. Even though I joined the forum in 2008, shortly after Timmy became part of our family, I have only read peoples threads and have never posted.

The forum has been a blessing to our family. Has given us a lot of knowledge on why Timmy does what he does like constantly unrolls toilet paper, shreds paper towels, and loves underwear. He goes everywhere with us, always wants to be loved.

Timmy loves other dogs that seem to be of lower energy though is not that fond of people. Very shy, stand offish, and growls when people come to the door. If it is someone he does not know, I have to leash him for about 15 minutes or so until he gets comfortable with the presence of a new person in the home. The leash I think is a sense of comfort and security for him.

can you tell me how I can post more pictures of Timmy?

Dawn Harper

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
The only way I know to post pictures is to "go advanced”, below the text box is a “manage attachments”, find the photo and download. If it is does not work the photo needs to be reduced in size.

·
Chico and Cali
1,373 Posts
This is probably a very dumb question.
Do the smaller Havanese have the same basic temperament as the larger ones?
I know that many very small breeds are sometimes yappy and can be high strung.
Is this true with tiny Havs 6-8 pounds??
I think not, but am just checking..

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Pixie is under 6 pounds and she is the sweetest, most loving dog you can imagine. She has no fear issues that cause her to bite and no food agression issues (you could take her flossie she's chewing on away from her and she would just wag her tail). She has never ever snapped or growled at anyone. She's not really high strung either, although she can get very excited when we visit someone, or when DH comes home. She settles down though. As far as yappy-yep, she's yappy. Her bark is like a screwdriver in your ear. I'm trying to work with her on that, especially when we travel in the car. She is a little creampuff though as far as temperment.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
I forgot to say welcome to Timmy and Dawn! I love the big havs and Timmy looks like a cutie pie.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Welcome to the forum!!! Its alot of fun on here. Lots to learn and great advice. Timmy is too cute!!

·
LINDA
6,496 Posts
This is probably a very dumb question.
Do the smaller Havanese have the same basic temperament as the larger ones?
I know that many very small breeds are sometimes yappy and can be high strung.
Is this true with tiny Havs 6-8 pounds??
I think not, but am just checking..
Bella is not high strung at all. She never was. She is so sweet and lovable. You can hold her as long as you want. She would love to be held for hours. She might have a burst of energy once a day and then she will chase the boys. Otherwise, you can find her on the couch or in her dog bed resting. She does have the picky eating habit!! Bella will not bark when she is by herself. When she was the only dog, she never barked, even if the door bell rang or the postman came! She never barked until I got Scudder. I think since there are 3 of them now, she feels she needs to be the protector. She still doesn't bark that much, but it's more than she used to.

PS. She does not have a mean streak in her at all. OOPS, I correct myself. She is only mean when she beats up Scudder. For some reason, she still hates him and he's been here for almost 3 years!!

·
Chico and Cali
1,373 Posts
Beth and Linda,
Thanks for the info on temperament of a smaller Hav.
They sound just like the big guys LOL.
I thought that would be the case.

Can you tell I'd love to have a tiny one !!!

·
Registered
806 Posts
You guys with the little ones might have angels... Mimi, while not aggressive, tends to bark at men.
I am still working on it every day..

She is great with kids, though and will accept treats, lets them hold her and even kiss her.

·
LINDA
6,496 Posts
Beth and Linda,

Oh, I know that feeling. I liked the smaller ones, because that's what I was used to with Bella being my first. I had no idea she was small, until the vet told me. Bella is very easy, because I can carry her for long periods of time and she is a featherweight. Her clothes cost less, eats less, etc.
Fred and Scuds are much larger than her, but I do like their larger size. There are many positives to her small size, but they don't outweigh the worrying. I am always afraid she will get swooped up by a bird of prey and she gets stepped on more often. Poor little Bella. She is so very fragile.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Racquet will be 3 in Feb. and weighs 22 pounds , he is large and very sturdy, he is also taller than the norm. I think he is the largest hav in our club.
I also think he is quite unique looking because of his size.
Most important is that they have all the great hav qualities., ie, playfulness, sweet, etc

Elayne and Racquet

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Dawn, welcome to posting on the forum! ;) I'm glad you decided to come and play.

There are plenty of bigger 20-lb+ Havs around, just as there are the tinier ones at 5-7 lbs. They are still Havanese. Obviously, if Timmy is from a breeder that doesn't show her dogs and gain championship and doesn't do the required health tests and post them at offa.org, then you're taking her word that she breeds purebreds. Looking into these things about his mom and dad will help you figure that out too. But it sounds like Timmy has all the characteristics of a Havanese, and in the end that's what you love about him. :)

Ricky is a bigger Hav, around 16.5 lbs, quite tall and long, but not an ounce of extra fat on him. Missy has some big boys too, around the 20-lb. mark and Cash and Jasper are as Hav-like as can be. What the AKC posts is the standard, what dogs need to measure, look like, etc... to be shown and awarded. There are always plenty of puppies from all kinds of litters that don't quite fit the standard, so don't worry.

I hope you get to figure out how to post pictures. Timmy looks adorable in your avatar!

·
Lincoln and Scout's Mom
3,650 Posts
Lincoln is a bigger Hav as well. He is around 19-20 pounds and quite skinny underneath all his coat. His coat is profuse and puffy. So, he looks REALLY HUGE when he is due for his semi-annual trim. He is also long in the body and tall.

He is my Big Love! :hug: It is quite an experience to hug him - your arms and face are filled with hair!

Scout is 16 pounds, also on the larger size. But next to Lincoln, he looks smaller so I always think of him as my "baby" :)

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Beth and Linda,

Even though she was super small as a pup, I always thought she'd catch up and be average size. I love how tiny she is, but I would love any size of this breed.

·
My Dogs Mom
3,476 Posts
Lulu is my small one weighing in at just 7 lbs but she is also the calmest one. She is independent and doesn't mind being alone. So I don't think size makes a different in their temperaments.
Carole

·
Chico and Cali
1,373 Posts
Carole,
Good to know about Lulu's temperament.
When I first found out about Havs, I wasn't concerned about size and Chico was perfect for us. Cali also is on the average to large size at 13 pounds.

I'd really love a tiny one if I ever get a third!
If it ended up becoming a therapy dog, it would be easier on my back to have a smaller, lil one.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts