Havanese Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Tori's mom
4,988 Posts
Racquet will be 3 in Feb. and weighs 22 pounds , he is large and very sturdy, he is also taller than the norm. I think he is the largest hav in our club.
I also think he is quite unique looking because of his size.
Most important is that they have all the great hav qualities., ie, playfulness, sweet, etc

Elayne and Racquet
And he has kept his color better than most havs do :)

Lulu is my small one weighing in at just 7 lbs but she is also the calmest one. She is independent and doesn't mind being alone. So I don't think size makes a different in their temperaments.
Carole
Like Lulu, Tori's a pretty calm, mellow girl who weighs 8 lbs. She, too, is pretty independent and doesn't mind being alone. She is not yappy at all (actually she has a surprisingly big bark :eek:) She mainly barks just when visitors come. She's a registered therapy dog who loves, loves, loves kids. She tends to like people more than dogs, but gets along fine w/most other dogs she's been around.

·
Chico and Cali
1,373 Posts
Leslie,
I forgot that Tori is small and a therapy dog.
She sound just like the little Hav I hope to get some day.:)

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
Welcome Timmy and Dawn. My Cash is 22.6 llbs down from 24 and he is all Havanese! and My Jasper who was 14.5 lbs at a year of age grew an inch in height and length after that and is now 17.4 lbs. Jasper has been as much as 19 lbs but was all muscle but seems happier lighter. (Cash on the other hand is a pudge) But I think Timmy can just join the ranks of the Giant Neezers. I think there may be one or two other 25 lbers on here.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Can anyone explain why the Havanese is classified as a Toy dog? It seems that most are exceeding the toy standard. My miniture schnauzers never weighed over 10 pounds and 12" tall. And by 6 months they were grown. It seems that the Havanese grows like the large breed dogs--not reaching full adult size for up to two years. My vet didn't think that Rosie would get to 5 lbs when she first saw her at 4 months. Now at nearly 9 months she weighs over 7 lbs and after reading this thread and others, I may have a 10 lb dog or larger, strange.

·
LINDA
6,496 Posts
Can anyone explain why the Havanese is classified as a Toy dog? It seems that most are exceeding the toy standard. My miniture schnauzers never weighed over 10 pounds and 12" tall. And by 6 months they were grown. It seems that the Havanese grows like the large breed dogs--not reaching full adult size for up to two years. My vet didn't think that Rosie would get to 5 lbs when she first saw her at 4 months. Now at nearly 9 months she weighs over 7 lbs and after reading this thread and others, I may have a 10 lb dog or larger, strange.
That's a good question, but I don't have the answer. The average size havanese is 10-12 lbs, so I guess that's what you might expect.

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
I tend to think the Havanese should be in the Non-Sporting group, but I'm a real newbie when it comes to standards and shows! Maybe you can post this in a new thread in here ("Ask a Breeder") to see what some of them have to say. :)

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
Timmy, just like in humans, there is a variety of heights and weight. Some Havanese are bigger and some are smaller. Yes, as breeders we try to focus on keeping our dogs moderate in size within the breed standard, but sometimes genetics pull out the wild card on you.

Can anyone explain why the Havanese is classified as a Toy dog? It seems that most are exceeding the toy standard.
There is no "toy standard" and there are several breeds larger than Havanese in the toy group.

• The Chinese Crested has an ideal size is 11"-13" inches tall at the shoulder.
  • The Miniature Pinscher's height is ranging from 10 to 12½ inches tall at the shoulder.
  • The Italian Greyhound is much bigger than our breed with 13"-15" in their standard.
  • The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel has an average size of 12"-13" inches tall at the shoulder and between 13 and 18 pounds.

Havanese are 8.5"-11.5" tall at the shoulder when in the standard.

That's just height. There are breeds, like the Pug, that only have weights listed in their standard and they tend to be bigger than many of our dogs in the ring. Look at the Toy Group sometime when they are all together in the ring and you'll see that the Havanese may look big because of all that hair, but they are definitely not the largest of the group.

·
Metrowest, MA
27,955 Posts
Look at the Toy Group sometime when they are all together in the ring and you'll see that the Havanese may look big because of all that hair, but they are definitely not the largest of the group.
Just look at one straight out of the bath to see how big they're NOT!:pound:

372 Posts
I had always thought that my little boy was a little bit too little lol, but it looks like he fits the standard with his 11 lbs, and 10". All other Havanese males i have seen looked bigger then he is. He does look huge when sporting longer coat, so i often get comments from friends about him getting fat :laugh:. I just wish it was so, bc picky eater as he is he could use some fat on those ribs. They of course have never seen him getting out of the bath:smow:, so are not to blame :biggrin1:.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I get all kinds of grief about Rosie being to fat. My daughter didn't believe until she saw me bathing her last weekend. Now she is worried that Rosie is to thin. It is all air underneath all that hair.

·
Metrowest, MA
27,955 Posts
I get all kinds of grief about Rosie being to fat. My daughter didn't believe until she saw me bathing her last weekend. Now she is worried that Rosie is to thin. It is all air underneath all that hair.
I've had people say that about Kodi too. But you can easily feel his ribs, and I've had both our trainer and the vet verify that he's a good weight for his size (they did it by touch too) so I'm sure it really is just a lot of hair.:)

We should really have a "hairy" smiley!:biggrin1:

·
Registered
358 Posts
What is Timmy's height at he withers? Just curious, I'd love to have one that is over 11". I prefer the larger Havanese, mine is 11 lbs, next time I'd look for something taller and a bit sturdier, if possible, seems like everyone is breeding them on the shorter side of the standard now.

·
Registered
55 Posts
OK..at what age do they stop gaining weight. Here I am with my little ginger who at 5 1/2 months just weighed in at 12.5lbs. Vet said she is not fat because you can feel her ribs, but at what age does it stop.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
OK..at what age do they stop gaining weight. Here I am with my little ginger who at 5 1/2 months just weighed in at 12.5lbs. Vet said she is not fat because you can feel her ribs, but at what age does it stop.
That would depend on the lines she is from. Your breeder should be able to give you a better idea than we could! My best guess is she will still add a couple pounds. My vet says most small dogs hit their full growth at about 10 months but my breeder said to expect them to fill out just a bit between 1 and 2 years and that held true for both my boys.

·
Amanda
9,576 Posts
One of mine had a bit of a weight growth spurt between 10 and 12 months but now over 2 is the same weight he was then. Dash is a busy body and I would be happy if he gained weight. Barely 10lbs at 10.25 inches. But if you feel him, he feels even thinner that. Dash eats a lot more but perpetual motion around the house. While he could stand to gain some weight, I love that size and his ability to move like he moves. My girl feels more stocky and is 11lbs and 10.5 inches. She grew up faster than my male but is a lot more docile and she doesn't like going for walks, etc. She will eat anything too!

·
5 Posts
PLEASE HELP !
Troy,my buddie has all traits of havanese but he is about 13inches tall. I adopted him from a man who said he is a maltese which is obviously wrong . Can anyone tell me what breed he is?

·
Mom to 2 Monsters
397 Posts
PLEASE HELP !
Troy,my buddie has all traits of havanese but he is about 13inches tall. I adopted him from a man who said he is a maltese which is obviously wrong . Can anyone tell me what breed he is?
Do you have a bigger photo to share? from the ears and face, I kindda think that there might be a poodle in him too. The tail isn't of a poodle. Maybe more photos will be more helpful.

Whatever breed, I bet that he is a bundle of joy :)

21 - 40 of 44 Posts