Havanese Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
our sweet 9 week old Maggie June arrived yesterday she is adjusting well and slept in the crate 9-6 no accidents! Not sure if this is “normal” or just a fluck because she didn’t eat too much yesterday. We are keeping her on the food the breeder recommended (honest kitchen) and some high quality raw kibble and treats and so far she is not into her meals. I have been hand feeder her and she is eating only about 1/2 of her meal if that. Will this improve over time as she adjusts? Any tips? She is drinking and peeing and pooping.

Attachments

·
Metrowest, MA
27,955 Posts
It is a big adjustment for a puppy to leave their littermate and go to live with their new family. It's not at all unusual for them t go "off their feed" for the first few days. If she is eating SOMETHING, she'll be fine. I would try to avoid hand feeding her, because you could start a habit that you'll find hard to stop. Try just giving her the fist bite that way, and then, maybe sit beside her? Maybe with your fingers on the bowl to encourage her?

She will adjust! Congratulations on your new girl! Remember that your breeder will always help you with problems like that too! She knows the puppy better than anyone! :)

·
Arf! Arf!
3,367 Posts
Congratulations MaggieMoma! You have a cutie pie and everything sounds very normal for a brand new puppy in a brand new home. It is important for you to relax, give her time to adapt to you and her forever home. Before you know it, she will be into everything! Keep us posted on her progress.

Reactions: LeleRF

·
Registered
122 Posts
Don't worry about the not eating much thing. i feel like a lot of us new puppy parents get overly concerned by that (myself included a couple months back!) when, like Karen said, it's a big adjustment period for them and this is normal! Don't do like I did and get concerned and start adding toppers and changing food and doing circus tricks to get her to eat - this created a ridiculously picky/snobby eater that I am currently working hard to get back on track with some tough love (food at her set times, available for 20ish minutes, picked back up whether she eats it or not and presented again at next meal time). A healthy dog will not willingly starve themselves!

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
Welcome to you and Maggie! My Molly only ate half as much food as my breeder told me she could have, which was only about 1/8 cup 3 X a day. That was normal for her and it is very normal for a new puppy just settling in.

·
Registered
11 Posts
We were in the same boat when our pup came home at 9 weeks. She ate less than half of the milk-coated kibbles the breeder gave us. After a few days, we gave her a tiny bit of boiled chicken as a “test”. Since she gobbled that up, we realized it was just an appetite/adjustment issue, not something more serious. Then we started mixing in a little boiled chicken or yams with each kibble meal which has worked out well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the reassurance - funny thing is I am a lactation consultant so it is my actual job to reassure parents with feeding challenges now I feel like a brand new mama again. Second questions - what is "normal" itching and chewing on legs/tail bottom and what should I be concerned with?

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
Second questions - what is "normal" itching and chewing on legs/tail bottom and what should I be concerned with?

There's currently a BIG Discussion regarding Itchy dogs you might check out but it doesn't apply to you right now.

HOWEVER....I had the Vet check Patti right after I got her and asked her that very question because I thought Patti was scratching more than usual. The Vet said, "sometimes dogs just itch and need to scratch." It must not have been constant because I didn't do any later follow up.

You puppy was bathed and maybe the shampoo, conditioner and grooming has made you puppy interested in chewing and itching places. Your puppy is, also, in a new environment which might making him itch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts