Havanese Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone :)

I don't have my puppy yet but I'm making a list of everything I want to get for him/her!

Here's what I have so far:
Kong Puppy Teething Stick
Kong Puppy
Kong Puppy Goodie Bone
Kong Wubba

Any other tried and true toys that your Havanese can't get enough of?

·
Registered
561 Posts
Plastic water bottles are popular. Loki likes squeaky or crinkly toys. The squeaky ones have to be easy to squeak because he doesn't use his teeth but pushes on the toy with his nose. It is too funny. He does love lamb chop. He pokes her in the stomach with his nose and she squeaks.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Mine has a love for furry toys, AKC squirrel and raccoon are his favorites. He has a baby's teething toy from his puppyhood that he chews on after every meal.
He does not like balls or rubber squeaky toys for some reason.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
As a tiny puppy mine loved these little guys.

They are small and easy to pick up, and they do squeak but they aren’t too hard to squeak or annoyingly loud. They are Zippy Paws brand, and there are all different themes where the smaller pieces stuff into the bigger one. It completely wore my puppy out trying to get the penguins out of the igloo.

He likes all of them but the penguins and strawberry waffles are his favorites. We play fetch with them almost every day. They do wear out but they aren’t poor quality. We take them outside and they get chewed so I like that they are pretty inexpensive. I think we are on our 3rd igloo.

He was terrified of balls as a puppy. Ran and hid! I found miniature tennis balls (they aren’t real they just look and feel like them but are safe for dogs) and that helped warm him up but he still prefers the little soft toys.

I think the longer toys, like a rope (or water bottle :) are helpful to redirecting nipping during playtime when the puppy is teething - there’s just more surface area so i felt like it helped me communicate what was okay and what wasn’t. Mine loves to tug!

Attachments

·
Zumba’s Mom
544 Posts
Zumba loved the squirrels inside the plush tree trunk. I can’t find the specific one she has, but there are others like it. She would play with those squirrels for hours. Now, that she’s older, the squirrels don’t get as much attention, though she is often playing with the plush cup that came with the donuts inside (also a Zippy Paw product). The donuts have always been a source of entertainment for her, too.

She has always loved the flirt pole, too. Though you have to be careful how you use it so as not to hurt your puppy. The lure is kept on the ground and moved in circles.

Any toy that belongs to the cat. I bought her a toy last week and to make sure that she would be interested in it, I put it with the cat things. Sure enough, she came in, grabbed it, and took off with it. Spent quite a bit of time with it, too. I thought it was hilarious. Oh, but on that note, her most favorite toy for a few months now is a toy that kind of reminds me of being a cat toy. It has a ball with a bell in it on one side, and then has a big furry tail attached on the other side. I wish I could find a different one that is similar to that. Zumba absolutely loves that toy!

·
Banned
1,493 Posts
Plastic water bottles. And they are free. ;)
Ditto! Plastic Water Bottles are the Best. Putting macaroni noodles in them for noise is a big winner.

At 18 months Patti still loves plastic bottles but she destroys them quickly and we have remove the cap because she chews it off. Her favorite toy at this age is playing fetch with a ball, tug of war and chewing on Antlers. She carries toys around and brings one to us when we come home, but doesn't spend a lot of time playing with them at his age. It's like picking up after a 2 year old. I find toys all over the house.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Best thing I got was on amazon. Best friends by Sheri calming shag donut cuddler. Best Friends by Sheri Calming Shag Vegan Fur Donut Cuddler (23x23) - Small Round Donut Cat and Dog Cushion Bed, Warming and Cozy for Improved Sleep - Prime, Machine Washable - Small Pets Up to 25 lbs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MV2YF39/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_FBVoDbAX55BGS

My dog also likes rope puppy toys and stuffed toys to chase.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Perry only likes plastic water bottles if they're inside one of those toys that you open up and fill with the bottle. If I put a regular one down for him he looks at it like I'm trying to trick him (human things - why is she putting human things on the floor!) :).

I've got a heavy chewer so for us the answer is - toys without stuffing. But special favorites include:
- skinneeez (the raccoon was his first favorite but now he's got several)
- skinneeez extreme (for really heavy chewers - harder to rip apart but Perry still manages to do so, just takes longer) - usually get the 14" ones, but right now his favorite is a 25" 3 squeaker (originally, only 1 squeaker left) crocodile.
- kong bone - the red (though be careful because once they know that you can put treats in the end, they'll keep throwing it at you so that you do!)
- Squirrels (they're really chipmunks!) in the log. He loves taking them out but he does it faster than you can put them back in. We don't play with that as much anymore because he's "killed" most of the squirrels.
- goDog toys with chew guard -mostly they're all still intact. (favorites are the flying pig, the small dinosaurs and the oppossom)
- Small Kong (had to get the black ones for heavy chewers - yes they make them in small :) - because he started to destroy the other one(s)
- The one puppy toy he still has that he hasn't destroyed and will still chew on occasionally is the nylabone teething ring (he destroyed the nylabone bones pretty quickly so no more of them).
- Himalayan chews
- Antlers - seems to prefer elk or moose - I usually get the splits but he has regular ones too that he'll chew on sometimes.
- Tennis ball to play fetch.
- we went through a rope toy phase but he isn't as interested in them at the moment.

They say to rotate the toys so that they don't get bored, but Perry does that naturally himself - every once in a while he'll pull out a toy he hasn't played with in a while.

·
Metrowest, MA
31,110 Posts
Ditto! Plastic Water Bottles are the Best. Putting macaroni noodles in them for noise is a big winner.

At 18 months Patti still loves plastic bottles but she destroys them quickly and we have remove the cap because she chews it off. Her favorite toy at this age is playing fetch with a ball, tug of war and chewing on Antlers. She carries toys around and brings one to us when we come home, but doesn't spend a lot of time playing with them at his age. It's like picking up after a 2 year old. I find toys all over the house.
Kodi is TEN and he still is up for a fast game of "Water Bottle" at a moment's notice! But here he is as a fairly young puppy with a gallon water bottle! The bigger they are, the more noise you can make with them!!! LOL!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
water bottles

Kodi is TEN and he still is up for a fast game of "Water Bottle" at a moment's notice! But here he is as a fairly young puppy with a gallon water bottle! The bigger they are, the more noise you can make with them!!! LOL!
I have to admit that i never encouraged the water bottles - probably because my last dog loooooooved them... unfortunately she didn't seem to (want to) differentiate between empty and full bottles, so if I or my housekeeper left the storeroom open I would sometimes find a punctured bottle (or one with the lid taken off) with water all over the floor :) Of course, Perry wouldn't be able to lift a full 1.5liter water bottle like she could, but I guess that might have influenced the toys I gave him

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
Willow got this for Christmas last year and absolutely loves this toy from Zippy Paws https://zippypaws.com/product/burrow-coffeedonutz/ I wasn't sure if she would like it as she is not crazy about the log and squirrels that so many of you have. For some reason she loves this toy.

She'll be getting some other thing from Zippy Paws this coming Christmas. Don't know which one yet - too early to think about it!

·
Metrowest, MA
31,110 Posts
I have to admit that i never encouraged the water bottles - probably because my last dog loooooooved them... unfortunately she didn't seem to (want to) differentiate between empty and full bottles, so if I or my housekeeper left the storeroom open I would sometimes find a punctured bottle (or one with the lid taken off) with water all over the floor :) Of course, Perry wouldn't be able to lift a full 1.5liter water bottle like she could, but I guess that might have influenced the toys I gave him
Interesting. Mine have never had the slightest interest in full ones. Maybe because they don't crinkle? I can leave them on the floor and they totally ignore them.

But I can see how that would make me not want to encourage that play! LOL!

Reactions: Melissa Brill

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
water bottles

Interesting. Mine have never had the slightest interest in full ones. Maybe because they don't crinkle? I can leave them on the floor and they totally ignore them.

But I can see how that would make me not want to encourage that play! LOL!
yeah it was always fun to find a lot of water over the floor, then find a flood and a half empty bottle with either the cap removed OR multiple punctures over it and yell "KELSEY!!!!!" (Signing it really since she was deaf lol!)

·
Zumba’s Mom
544 Posts
Willow got this for Christmas last year and absolutely loves this toy from Zippy Paws https://zippypaws.com/product/burrow-coffeedonutz/ I wasn't sure if she would like it as she is not crazy about the log and squirrels that so many of you have. For some reason she loves this toy.

She'll be getting some other thing from Zippy Paws this coming Christmas. Don't know which one yet - too early to think about it!
Yup. This is one of Zumba's favorite toys, too.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts