Havanese Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Mom to Princess & Jewels
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wasn't sure if I should put this in here, or in grooming.. if it's in the wrong spot, sorry!

Princess is white/black parti... so I need products accordingly.

I bought a Coat Handlers sampler pack, and could see a bit of a difference with that.. but we only used it once, so not enough time to form a true opinion.

I would like to get to where I can groom her myself, especially since I plan on showing her. (or at least, until I make myself sick in the ring and need to get a handler! LOL)

I need to get a order in, and start working on her coat, since we will probably enter our first show in late April/early May. (not sure when yet, depends on how her bangs are looking end of this month)

I already have a crate, expen, and I know I need to get some kind of table for grooming.

So, lay it on me... What are my must have products for showing?
(brushes- which is the best, combs, shampoos-do I need something special? whitening, sprays, etc)

Thanks~ Jodi

·
Mom to Princess & Jewels
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone?

I am especially interested in which brush to buy. Chris Christensen and Plush Puppy both have tons, and neither place is cheap, so I don't want to order the wrong thing.

Thanks.

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
Hi JodiM,

Grooming supplies are as varied as the people who groom.

Everyone has their favorites. I like to try a brush before I buy, right now I'm using a human brush, I hope to get a new one at the next show this weekend.

I have a Greyhound comb that I have had for about 15 yrs. I love it. I brush first then run through everywhere with the comb to make sure I got all the tangles.

And last a flea comb. I use it around the eyes to get any "****" that maybe there.

Hope this help a little:)

·
Mom to Princess & Jewels
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Debbie.

We are in the middle of nowhere, and I don't plan on going to a show until the end of April, so I have no clue where to get a brush.

I was going to order one of the Chris Christensen brush, but they have like 20 different pin brushes, and none are cheap. I don't want to order the wrong one, and have to order another one.

I have a greyhound and flea comb, and plan on buying a ringside table this weekend. (trying decide between a table, and a dolly thingy with a table topper on it)
I have a expen, and planned on using a diaper bag (have plenty of those lol) for a grooming bag. (I figured the bottle pockets would be ideal for the shampoo, etc)

We ordered a couple of kindness leads, so I've got those... but I still feel like I'm forgetting something.

That and I am still looking for the perfect shampoo, conditioner and brush.

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
Hi Jodi:

Consider the first show as a trial run. See what you use and what you don't. Try your local pet store and see what they have. Maybe talk to your groomer and she what see uses and where she buys them.

I don't take a grooming table to the show, but I know people who do and use theirs. ;) I entered Sam in to a show this weekend and just found out that it is in a un-heated arena with dirt floors:eek: I don't know how I'm going to deal with dirty feet. But at least everyone is in the same situation.

Relax and have fun. The more fun it is for Princess, the better she will show:)

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
Debbie, wait until you get to do a show outside on grass in the rain!!! LOL That one always makes me a bit uncomfortable at first, but like you said, we're all in the same situation. Actually, it probably helps when you have a dog with excellent structure. There is no fluff to hide it! :)

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
That and I am still looking for the perfect shampoo, conditioner and brush.[/QUOTE]

Jodi,
In my opinion, the "perfect" shampoo and conditioner is the one that YOU find works best on your dog's coats. Just as with humans, we all don't think the same shampoo has the same effect as it does on someone else.

For the brush, I would suggest you buy the Chris Christenson #27 or #35. It really depends on the thickness of the coat.

·
Mom to Princess & Jewels
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks.

Kathy~ Is the fusion worth the extra $$? Or should I just get the gold series?

·
Pepper's mom
1,329 Posts
:bump:

I'm looking at the Chris Christensen pin brushes but am not sure which one(s) are best for the Havanese coat/size.

Recommendations, please?

Wanda :)

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Wanda, Linda has one of those, she used it to demonstrate at the playdate & highly recommended it. I am sure she can answser your question. The one she had was a skinny rectangular shape pin brush.

·
Yoda
1,210 Posts
On your brushes ect you need one that works best on your dogs coat since they do have a different type of coat.When buying shampoos and conditioner its all dependedn on coat and your pocket book you can go over board its very easy to do.And the ones you said you are looking at grey hound and Christ. remember they are good you buy a good brush /comb they will last for many years Showing dogs is very costly and as for a ring side table , you can get the table top types that sit on top of your crate that works real good the normal tables are great its more for you than the dog no bending over to brush out your dog.Just dont go over board on product just because it has a high ticket price on it does not mean it any better than a lower ticket price.

·
Amanda
9,576 Posts
My Christensen brush has quite the wear and tear on it but if I remember correctly, I think it is the 27mm. It is the round/oval shape. I have had it for years- when the maltese was a puppy so after 5 years, it is probably my favorite!

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
Amanda I agree that is a great brush

1 - 14 of 14 Posts