Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
About 2 days ago I noticed an "owie" on Tillie's neck (kind of by her "voice box" area)... i thought maybe one of the cats got her in thier "play" I've been putting neosporin on it and though it isn't healed it looks much better so far. Then yesterday i found 2 more owies on the side of her neck, about 2 inches below her ear, they are about as far apart as her nails. So, I thought, maybe it's a flea bite and she scratched and scratched herself... also been cleaning the area and putting neosporin on it. THEN just now I discovered yet another area, it was all crusted over with a yellowish scabby thing, and is right in the front of her chest area. I trimed around it and the scab came off and the area under looks red, raised and scaly. What could be going on!?? I am finding a new "owie" every day!? I am a basket case, worried about her, her hair is all greasy looking from the neosporin AND I just trimmed around them so they can breath... so she is NOT looking her fuzzy best right now! LOL
Here are a couple of pics, I will TRY to put them in order.
She had her frontline plus about 3 weeks ago, a bath a week ago and spends very little time outside. She hasn't eaten anything out of the ordinary and we haven't treated our lawn, or let her on others lawns. She hasn't been itching extra either...???
A trip to the vet is in our NEAR future, but wanted to run it by you guys while we wait for our appt... anyone have any idea what could be going on with my baby!???

Attachments

·
"I AM the Brute Squad"
2,175 Posts
don't know. :confused: it sorta looks like bug bites. Seen any ticks? fleas? spiders?

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haven't seen any. I am thinking to treat her for fleas, but am hesitant because what IF the flea meds irritate her owies?? sigh ...

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
I wouldn't put more flea meds on since the Frontline Plus is supposed to last for a month and you don't want to over-medicate. I'm sure it is something simple but you won't feel good about it until the vet sees it!

·
Registered
8,941 Posts
I don't know what it is but I really feel for you. It's so hard when anything happens to our little ones. I'm hoping it's something really simple to cure. I wouldn't treat her with anything till the vet sees it. You don't want to risk making it worse.

Sending hugs your way.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the thoughts! ya, that's what I was thinking about the Frontline (to not use it again, yet) We DID however treat the cats last night, since Tillie gets the flea from THEM. :suspicious:
I am beyond frustrated. The vet's office just called and apparently the vet had an emergency and cancled his appts for the rest of the day ... sigh. I will have to try to be squeezed in sometime tomorrow at the earliest. i just hope I don't discover MORE of these weird owies. :frusty:

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
I think it looks suspiciously like flea bite dermititis. I would go to the vet and let them put you on a schedule. If the vet says its okey in the summer months in some areas you may need to use the frontline (or other topical) 2xa month. You do need to see your vet. My Lhasa is flea sensitive and it often looks like this, we use Benadryle if it gets this bad, and for my Lhasa it can go to swelling all over!!!!! Do ask your vet. When I first moved to NC I use to shave the undercarrriage of the dogs, after seeing a Allergist who ask if I could manage it. My dogs have been in full coat since. Seems Fleas and Ticks will ride around awhile before biting. So if I comb them out each night they seldom get bit anymore. This is not for everyone. My Vet also said few can deal with full coat. Hope you get to the bottom of this.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the advice! I am kinda thinking it might be flea bites too, just cause I have NO idea what else it could be. I am hoping to get an appt tomorrow... I am a nervous wreck though, even broke down and bought her her 1st Bully Stick! LOL I SOOOO wish I didn't know what it REALLY is though. :puke: she is going to TOWN on it and is wearing it down and eating it :)puke::puke::puke:)... I kinda thought it would LAST longer seeing as how BIG it is! LOL

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SHOOT, Tillie just scratched off the scab on the new biggest one on her chest!! poor thing.. she was actually on me when she did it, so I was able to stop her right away, but it was bleeding... :( I cleaned it up and got some neosporin on it, she is sleeping for the night now. sigh...

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
SHOOT, Tillie just scratched off the scab on the new biggest one on her chest!! poor thing.. she was actually on me when she did it, so I was able to stop her right away, but it was bleeding... :( I cleaned it up and got some neosporin on it, she is sleeping for the night now. sigh...
Maybe if she continues to itch so much before your Dr visit you could put that thing you got for when she was spayed. Is it called a cone? Do you have benadryl at your house?:( Poor Tillie and Mon:(

·
Teresita
1,534 Posts
How is Tillie today? I hope you can take her to the vet today. Let us know. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Hope Tillie is felling better. I forgot to say when Boo Boo starts the scratching, we put a shirt on him so he can not make himself bloody.

·
Susan
4,063 Posts
I was wondering about ringworm too. Ringworm causes round, red raised areas that can spread from one area of the body to another. I don't know if ringworm is necessarily itchy though. Has Tillie been in contact with any stray cats or other dogs in your neighborhood?
It could be flea allergy too though. Whatever it is, I hope your vet can give you something that cures it quickly. Poor Tillie.

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
Tammy, if you have not noticed any fleas, it could be hot spots or bacterial infection(yellow crusty) Cash used to get these all the time. The Vet gave me a anti bacterial shampoo (chlorahexidine) and a topical steroid/antibacterial (tresaderm.) Ultimately it was a food allergy that caused it. for Cash it was what he was eating. Since changing his diet he has had no more, ear, eye of skin guckies or itchies. But spring is here with lots of pollens, molds and new grasses. so it could just be seasonal.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
It is so hard when you don't know what is going on. I really fell bad for you. It seems like you have had one thing after another. You are the best Mom and it will get better:)
Has anyone herd that the flea medication needs to be applied in more than one location and that it only works when oils are being distracted?
Hope you can get into the vet this morning.:hug:

·
Metrowest, MA
26,657 Posts
Kodi has had two bouts of bacterial skin infections that were raised bumps that if you pressed on them were filled with yellow serum. The vet said that it had most likely started as an allergy, (it was EXACTLY the same time of year both times) which then allowed bacteria to enter the skin. He was on antibiotics for 2 weeks and it cleared right up.

But I'm not sure that's what's happening with Tillie... Kodi wasn't scratching at all. OTOH, the vet said I caught it really early, because I felt the bumps and was able to get him right in. I don't know if he would have started scratching if it went on longer.

·
Metrowest, MA
26,657 Posts
Has anyone herd that the flea medication needs to be applied in more than one location
NBo, I've been told the opposite with both dogs AND cats. The reason you put it in between the shoulder blades is that they can't reach it there with their mouths, so there is no risk of ingestion. Obviously, with two puppies, you'l have to watch that one isn't licking it off the other. What would be the point of putting it in more than one location, especially on such a small animal?

and that it only works when oils are being distracted?
I don't know what you mean by this? Do you mean that you aren't supposed to put it on a freshly washed dog? I know that the directions say to wait at least 24 hours after a bath, but I'm not sure of the reason. I can ask one of my vet friends.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
NBo, I've been told the opposite with both dogs AND cats. The reason you put it in between the shoulder blades is that they can't reach it there with their mouths, so there is no risk of ingestion. Obviously, with two puppies, you'l have to watch that one isn't licking it off the other. What would be the point of putting it in more than one location, especially on such a small animal?

I don't know what you mean by this? Do you mean that you aren't supposed to put it on a freshly washed dog? I know that the directions say to wait at least 24 hours after a bath, but I'm not sure of the reason. I can ask one of my vet friends.
I went to a havanese grooming seminar and the women giving the class said all that. She stated all I already wrote. Two other people stepped in and follow her way of flea control all said they only have to apply once a year. And it only works when the hair is growing and dis creating oils . She is some what of a healer type person :) and also a dog behaviorist.
Do you all believe in preventative flea control Maddies skin has gotten so much better I'm worried about putting chemicals on her. Zoey has never had any yet. I do have a supply of frontline plus. Probably should apply soon. At least if Maddie gets bad again I would know it is the chemicals.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts