Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Mom to Princess & Jewels
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We just got a email from the local kennel club, and they are having a all breed health clinic, and I am thinking about taking Princess. I want to get her tested, but I know some can't be done until she is older.

I wrote down when all the tests should be done, and which particular tests were recommended for a Hav, but I can't find the paper (put it somewhere I wouldn't loose it, and forgot where :rolleyes: lol). And to make matters worse, I can't remember which one I got the info from, since I read so many.

Does anyone know the approximate ages for each test, or a good link to a site that shows which tests should be done on a Havanese, and at what age?

Thanks

·
Registered
104 Posts
Health testing

OFA hips and elbows are age two
Cardac is 12 months as is patellas
CERF can be done at any time but I usually wait till close to a year. BAER is a one time test and can be done after 8 weeks. (I do all pups before they leave me).
LCP is done off the hip x-ray.
Any lab work probably 6 months at least - they will usually do it before they neuter to make sure the liver can handle the anesthetic.
You can read about all health testing at www.havanese.org - then click on health issues.
Puppies are not allowed at dog shows until they are 6 months old and they should not be around other dogs until they have completed all shots.

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
For a pet I wouldn't worry about hips. Havanese hips are very flexible and unless you have someone who has done xrays on Havs enough to know how to hold them you can get anywhere from a Good to a Fail on the same dog.

For breeding dogs I would also get an SA320 full blood panel with Pre and Post bile acids and a Cardiac test.

·
Mom to Princess & Jewels
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I didn't even think to check the Hav website- duh. lol

Tom, if she passes all her health tests, depending on her disposition when she is older, etc.. we may breed her.

We have full akc for her, we bought her that way, and went through some q/a's with our breeder (ok, a lot!), but we aren't going to decide if that's the route we want to take with her or not until she has met all our standards for what I think a dog should be.. along with all the health testing.

·
Mom to Princess & Jewels
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not sure yet. I would like to show her, and we've had 2 people tell us we should show her.. but I know it has to be a lot of work, and I'm not sure I'm up for it right now.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Does anyone have any info on leptosporosis vaccine? I told my vet I wanted to wait, because everything I have read says do not give it to Havs. I know he will probably bring up the subject again, so I could use some info.

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
The only information that I hae is that Leptospirosis is a bacterial infection which could lead to permanent kidney damage. & can be spread to other pets & Humans. I just checked my pups records and it shows that the breeder gave them this shot at 6 weeks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Lepto

Do not give Lepto unless your vet insists and if he insists pretreat for the reaction. After my 3rd reaction - I quit giving it. I also don't give the 5 or 6 way vaccines as you will not know what they are reacting to.
I have a vaccination protocol I use with my pups if you want it. I give distemper/parvo together - then intervet progard kc plus - do not give rabies with any other shots - wait at least 3 weeks between the last shot and the rabies vaccine. I try not to give rabies till just shy of 6 months.
These guys have a lot of reactions to vaccines - so make sure you stay around the vets office for 20 minutes or so - so you are there if they have a reaction. Two of mine were about an hour and a half before they reacted. Their eyes will swell - lips around the nose and sometimes the vulva on a girl. So do not give them a shot - take them home and go off and leave them - stay around for watch them for several hours after a shot.
Be careful and pay attention to your pups. It also happens in adults - so after puppy shots and boosters - you are probably better off running titers.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Great info Joan. What does the vet give them if they have a reaction? Is it something you can give at home in case the reaction happens later than your visit?

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
I am new to this forum and thought I would put my 2 cents worth in. My vet told me that we have lepto in our region (Nova Scotia Canada) and dogs can get the infection from standing water. Since we live on 5 acres with a drainage stream on one side I thought it is possible for my dog to come in contact with the infection. We vaccinated with no reaction.

Debbie

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
We gave Ricky his Lepto vaccine at 4 mths., but my vet told me it was best to separate the vaccines, not give him all of them in one shot... like JoLain has said. These little guys can react and he wants me to wait for 15-20 mins. after each time he gets his shots, before heading home. Two weeks after the lepto and other vaccines, we got the rabies shot done. All went well.

Since Ricky loves to be outdoors and fall especially, is a very wet time, we thought it best to get the Lepto for him. The vet took his time explaining all about it and I was very reassured.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Thanks for all the input. Kodi hasn't had any reaction to anything so far, so I guess I'll just discuss it with my vet again and make a decision. Shelby also has done well with shots, but she is still young. I'm more concerned about having her spayed. My cousin just lost a 5 mos old Boston Terrier due to the anesthesia. So sad. Kodi did fine with his neuter.

·
Registered
39 Posts
According to my contract with the breeder, if Murphy gets the lepto shot, it will void it. Luckily, my vet clinic doesn't give it routinely anyway.

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
havlover, in my contract it says the same thing. So I have to avoid that shot with Oreo. I also talked to my vet and she also does not routinely administer that shot either :)

·
Mom to Princess & Jewels
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I'm glad I started this thread, or I would have never known about that shot. Although, I vaguely remember reading something about it early on in our search for the perfect dog.

I checked Princess' records, and she did have that shot already... but last time she got her shots, she had a reaction, so that's probably what it was from.

I am going to mark her vax card now so I don't forget, or if hubby takes her, he knows to tell the vet not to give that shot.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Does anyone have any info on leptosporosis vaccine? I told my vet I wanted to wait, because everything I have read says do not give it to Havs. I know he will probably bring up the subject again, so I could use some info.
Do not under any circumstances give the vaccine for Leptospirosis to your Havenese . It does not work and it may make your dog sick and it probably will not survive .. .
I lost my Havenese Asta to Leptospirosis . It is a horrible disease and it was very traumatic for us to lose such a wonderful animal . WE have no idea as to where he contracted the disease . Everyone was totally baffled as we live in a city not in a rural area ..
Go to the CDC Website and read about the disease and how it is transmitted .
I have been told by three Vets in California that the vaccine is not effective for the strain here in Ca . Once Asta was sick there was nothing we could do .We tried everything even dialysis as it can affect the kidneys intestines and lungs ...
It is transmitted by rats and and other vermin have it and it is transmitted in their urine . SOme dogs pick it up and are not affected at all and can act as a carrier.
There are more than one strain of Lepto . The one on the east coast is different from the one on the west coast . The west coast one is very virulent and becoming impossible to eradicate .
I had friends who vaccinated their 4 year old Bichon because their vet convinced them the vaccine was OK . Fortunately the dog is fine ..
Do not let your Havanese smell when other dog have urinated . Some people think it is cute and that thier dog is checking for messages . Wrong !!
Havanese are very susceptible to this bacteria . Do not let your vet convince you to get the shot . It is just about the money trust me .. may Please be proactive and ask him why he thinks your dog should have it . Is there Lepto where you live how many cases have been reported .
Consider your dogs lifestyle and where you take him and who he is exposed to .
The breeder I bought my new puppy from in her handout sheet said Do not vaccinate for it .. It may kill your dog .. She was very clear and andamant .

I have been to over three vets for my new puppy until I found one that will talk to me and work with me and understands smaller breeds such as Havanese . These dogs are wonderful little creatures who give us such great joy and ask for do little in return .
I recently spoke to a Vet here in La Quinta Ca and he said it is a shame as five years ago it was completely irradicated but now it is coming back ..
It is our responsibilty to make sure we take the best care of them we can .

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
Hi Cosmosmom,

I'm a little confused about some things in your post. Sorry! :)

You believe it's too risky to give this vaccine to our Havs, but I read that you think "It is a horrible disease and it was very traumatic for us to lose such a wonderful animal . " and then, "Do not let your Havanese smell when other dog have urinated . Some people think it is cute and that thier dog is checking for messages . Wrong !! Havanese are very susceptible to this bacteria . "

If the disease is so bad and can be fatal for our little dogs, then wouldn't it mean you SHOULD get them vaccinated? So they don't contract it??

I know you mean to advise us not to get the vaccine, but I'm kind of hoping that having already rec'd this shot will help my Ricky avoid the disease completely! The strain in the vaccine is usually so minute, that it is something our dog can use to help build antibodies for, making him (hopefully) more resistant should he come into contact with the live bacteria of Lepto.

I know there are many people who don't believe that vaccines are even good for our pets and I find it a very interesting topic to research. I haven't decided that that's the way for me, but I remember going through all this soul-searching and learning whatever I could about vaccines when our 3 kids were younger. Should I, shouldn't I ?? There is a lot out there to prove either way and it gets a bit confusing and frustrating! lol

I think this is an important topic so I'm very interested in understanding your opinion! I just needed a bit of clarification. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm somewhat confused too. Does this mean I should never take my pup for a walk then? How about going to obedience training or to a pet superstore? I think there needs to be some balance.

·
Mom to Princess & Jewels
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm kind of hoping that having already rec'd this shot will help my Ricky avoid the disease completely!

I remember going through all this soul-searching and learning whatever I could about vaccines when our 3 kids were younger. Should I, shouldn't I ?? There is a lot out there to prove either way and it gets a bit confusing and frustrating! lol

I think this is an important topic so I'm very interested in understanding your opinion! I just needed a bit of clarification. Thanks! :)
Me too, I seriously hope Princess avoids this disease because she already had the shot.

We don't vax our kids, and to be honest, Parvo is sooo pominent here that we have always vaccinated our animals.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts