Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Mom to Princess & Jewels
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have tried like 10 different kinds, and Princess could care less.

I am hoping to find a winner so we can really start working on obeying commands.

Just wondering what everyone's dog likes.

Thanks!

·
Katie
2,217 Posts
Kix cereal is the best according to my dogs!
And it doesn't give them the runs either~! Wooo Hoooo

·
Bugsy's Mom
4,363 Posts
My dogs are not particular and will eat any treats I give them, even their regular kibble if I am out of real treats. I like to have Charlie Bear on hand. They are small, light, round shaped liver and meat treats that I usually get at Trader Joe's or most pet supply stores. They are only 3 calories each and won't ruin your puppies appetite.

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
Jasper loves canz real meat treats in Venison--- Wellness now makes them too and they are less expensive. they are little rectangles of jerky and are I believe 95% meat. He also LOOOVVVVES cadet rabbit fillets. He didn't care for treats much when he was young and it made training a bit hard- string cheese was always a winner--- and then we discovered the venison jerky treats. good luck.

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
The puppy gets the Nutro puppy treats that are shaped like little lamb chops. I think they are too big for him even tho they are made for puppies so I break them up. My groomer gives all my pups Cheerios - they love them!!

·
Mom to Dusty and Indie
1,181 Posts
Dusty loves green bean and sweet potato. I microwave them, cut them into bits, and freeze them. She's glad to get her treats either frozen or thawed.
I also have some little bits of chicken and ham that were leftover from Christmas cooking. I froze the bits and she really likes those as treats straight out of the freezer.

·
Mom to Princess & Jewels
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great, I'll have to try some of those. I love the veggie idea, she loves veggies, and the kids don't mind dropping her some. lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
My boss introduced me to the breed and I love him to death!! He is a very fussy eater, especially since he had worms at 4 months old (when I got him from the breeder) and had to put him on chopped meat and rice. He eats very little, although he is a respectable 12.5 pounds at 9 mons.
He does love treats, though My boss told me to get Milk Bones chicken drumsticks and he loves them. I also found Pupatoe Chips (sold at walmart) and he goes bonkers for them too. I bought a bag for my boss and her 2 havanese love them too.:)

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
Just tried DAJ's mom sweet potato trick. the boys love it frozen (yeah fiber they like.) we make sweet potato oven fries a lot --- so it's really easy to chop up the left overs that don't fit on the cookie sheet and microwave them for a bit and freeze them. Thanks for the tip.

·
Izzy, Doc, and Kai's mom
2,349 Posts
Izzy loves the Solid Gold Tiny Tots treats made out of lamb. They break up into small bits, so even though they are a bit expensive, they last a long time. I don't give her too many because I want her to eat her kibble! She is very attentive when I have her treats in my hand!

I like the veggie ideas, though. I may have to give that a try as well.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
Mine love Freeze Dried Beef Liver treats. The vet said it's a good choice. They really don't like anything else. I've tried just about everything so I stopped trying. My other dogs used to eat carrots by the bag full, but these two will not touch them. I'm going to try more veggies to see if that works. My daughter's dogs go crazy for cucumbers.

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
I give him his daily dose of Greenies, he LOVES rawhide, but it is too messy for me. As for training treats, he loves the liver, cheese, and sliced up and cooked chicken wieners.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
We are cheap! I use pieces of my Cat's food...Ollie LOVES it...cheap tiny convenient!~

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
Their favorite manufactured treat was just discontinued. The company tells me that it is being revamped, but I'm not going to hold my breath for it.

Their ultimate treat, and the one all of my girls will do anything to get is boiled (or baked) chicken breast.

Their newest facination is blanched green beans (fresh, not canned or frozen). Hillary isn't too sure about them, but as soon as Tinky & Martha go nuts, Hillary can't help but havtahave them too! They are so funny. If one loves them, they must be great!

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
At the dog show yesterday, Sam was "visiting" a Shih tzu breeder and he would not leave her, it was like he was obsessed with her. Her pockets were full of cooked chicken hearts. She gave me a few pieces, we went nuts for them. I saved a couple pieces for the show ring and he showed really good. Didn't win but show great. The problem is I can't cut up a chicken let alone it's heart:eek:

·
Valentino's Mom, Vicki
2,590 Posts
Valentino loves that center crunchy part of romaine lettuce! Thanks for all the other ideas too! I'm going to give them a try! Vicki

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
Debbie, hearts?!? Eeks! That seems like it would be really chewy (tough) and not something I'd really want to carry in my pocket. For an occasional treat, I might consider it, but it seems that if you gave that often (or in large quantities) that it may cause runny stools.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts