Havanese Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have a 6 month old Havanese who recently stopped eating her dry food, science diet small bites. I bought her science diet canned puppy food and she is eating it without a problem. Two questions…. Is there a better wet food I should start her on, and if so, how do you transition from one wet food to another? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I'm sure everyone on this forum has an idea of what they think the "best" food is :). My advice would be to do some research and figure out what you think the best would be based on your budget. You can check out sites like dogfoodadvisor for info on what's in different foods, recalls, etc. We got Perry at 8 months old and he's been on regular food (not puppy food) since then (we do Fromm kibble and Stella and Chewy freeze dried). We don't do canned wet food, but I do moisten his food in an effort to get him to drink more water.

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,844 Posts
Hi. I have a 6 month old Havanese who recently stopped eating her dry food, science diet small bites. I bought her science diet canned puppy food and she is eating it without a problem. Two questions…. Is there a better wet food I should start her on, and if so, how do you transition from one wet food to another? Thanks.
I have read many articles saying that sometimes when dogs are teething their gums are sore and they turn their nose up at kibble and prefer wet food. It is a common theme here on the forum for dogs to become picky at this age so perhaps there is some truth to it. If someone feels that feeding wet food is “giving in“ or “encouraging pickiness“ they could try moistening the kibble and see if that helps.

·
Premium Member
564 Posts
I'm sure everyone on this forum has an idea of what they think the "best" food is :). My advice would be to do some research and figure out what you think the best would be based on your budget. You can check out sites like dogfoodadvisor for info on what's in different foods, recalls, etc. We got Perry at 8 months old and he's been on regular food (not puppy food) since then (we do Fromm kibble and Stella and Chewy freeze dried). We don't do canned wet food, but I do moisten his food in an effort to get him to drink more water.
Boo also ate Stella and Chewy freeze dried patties. I just crumbled the patties in his dish, and did not rehydrate. It is appropriate for puppies, according to the website. Boo really liked it, and did well on it. I'm not a real big fan of Science Diet. However, researching on the internet can help you decide what is best for your pup.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts