Havanese Forum banner

What toothpaste do you use?(for the Haver!!)

2K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  Havanese Dreams 
#1 ·
Shadow is not a big fan of brushing but I am trying to get him used to it since he is hopefully going to get a cleaning done soon! The cleaning is proving to be another problem but his teeth are a mess.
I have been using Vet's Best which apparently contains Neem Oil. I have been using it faithfully for a couple weeks and just read yesterday how bad it is for dogs to ingest.

#2 ·
I use oratene, it's an enzymatic toothpaste for dogs. I also use a fingerbrush instead of a toothbrush bc Pipes will actually tolerate me reaching the teeth in the back with a fingerbrush, unlike if i were to try jamming a toothbrush back there. She understands it's my finger in the fingerbrush bc she doesn't clamp down, she like lightly nibbles as I brush/spread her toothpaste around her teeth.

#3 ·
I typically use plain water on a soft gauze cloth and wipe their teeth and gums down with that. I recently watched a podcast where they mentioned mixing a probiotic in water and using that to brush their teeth, or else use the probiotic as a water additive. They said you can make your own toothpaste by adding a bit of probiotic to some coconut oil and use that. They also said you can add a tiny bit of cinnamon to this mixture which has antibacterial properties.

The probiotic supposedly helps promote healthy bacteria in the mouth. I have not tried these things yet but think I am going to give it a shot.

I know lots of people use the enzymatic toothpastes but I have concerns about some of the ingredients, although they may be fine and I assume they don’t ingest that much.

#6 ·
According to my vet, the most important part is the enzymes. You want a toothpaste with enzymes. Then, although brushing is best, if all you can do is get the toothpaste in their mouth, it still has a lot of benefit.

#8 ·
I second the CET… Charlie loves the poultry and Jolene loves all of it (so I give her the vanilla mint bc I prefer the smell!) We actually use a toddler toothbrush on her, as it’s smaller than a lot of the dog ones, and she has a tiny little mouth. I hold it close to the brush part so I can control it well. Charlie is great about it, she’s getting there. Loving the toothpaste definitley helps!

#9 ·
Thank you to everyone. I ordered the CET vanilla mint since Shadow has issues with the smallest amount of chicken and I've seen it for sale at a couple vet offices. I was tempted by the Oratene though.
I have the Virbac brush and I can't fit it in to reach his back molars. He may have a more difficult mouth than the rest of the Havs.
For those who actually brush, does your dog actually open their mouth up so you can see what you are doing?
Or are you blindly trying to get everything?

#12 ·
Try little toddler toothbrushes! We can’t fit the dog ones in Jolene’s mouth well either. For Charlie, it he actually lets us get in there and get each section pretty well. We usually do one side of molars at a time, and finish w the front canines and incisors. It took us ages for him to let us do the inside of the molars (tongue side) but I think that’s a bit less important anyway bc the saliva breaks things down somewhat. For Jo, she’s still learning to tolerate it, so I can’t really brush in the back as much… I more use the toothbrush to kind of smear it on the teeth. The vet said that the brushing is most important for the gums, and she does a ton of chewing so I’m not too worried about that yet anyway. One thing that helps is that I find it’s much easier to actually come from behind them rather than facing them.

#10 ·
I also use the C.E.T. Enzymatic vanilla mint toothpaste. Scout thinks it's candy! He always quickly licks it off his teeth before I have a chance to brush and I then need to add more. 😁 After I'm finished brushing he won't move out of the bathroom until I give him another little taste. When I brush Truffles teeth he is right there hoping a little bit might fall off the brush. I have it on autoship at Chewy.

#13 ·
We're team CET vanilla mint too with a toddler toothbrush (Perry has a spiderman toothbrush :) ). Perry loves the taste and starts to lick his lips the minute I pull the tube out. I have to admit that I've been slacking on brushing - have to do it more often.

I am amazed at how well some dogs will let you brush. For how crazy he is in so many ways, Cousin Finley is amazing about having his teeth brushed. He will sit there while his mom brushes top, bottom, inside of teeth and outside very thoroughly. Perry's not a fan of the actual brushing though so I generally do the top one day and the bottom the next day and just let him lick the toothpaste off the toothbrush as well.

#14 ·
I've been using the vanilla mint for a couple of weeks now. Shadow doesn't like the flavor so I'll try the beef flavor next. He is not very cooperative about the brushing either. I must have a different "breed" of Havanese than everyone else.

His dental cleaning is scheduled for July 5 so his tolerance for brushing needs to improve.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.