Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd love to hear the funniest or weirdest quirks your pups have!

I'll go first:

-Piper paws water out of her bowl to drink it off the floor. To combat this we put her bowl on top of a dinner plate so that when she paws the water it land on the plate and she drinks it off there

-When Piper gets a treat she REALLY likes she will play-fight it, toss it around, and run around trying to find the perfect spot to hide it for later. She likes to bury them in blankets or sometimes the sneaky little squirrel will hide a bully stick underneath the couch and flatten herself and army crawl underneath for it later.

Share your dog's weird little quirks!

I thought she was going behind the couch with this one but then she teleported to me and wanted it hidden by me haha:

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,200 Posts
After I feed my dog’s their dinner I clean the cutting board I use for their raw food and do some pretty heavy scrubbing on it. Mia must hate this sound because she appears scared and runs to the front door. However, she is not scared al all when I am cutting her food up on it! She is right there by my feet. She is also not scared of any other noise!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Such a good prompt! Which weird trait to choose from?!? Charlie is totally comfortable with bikes, motorcycles, strollers, and skateboards on the street, yet he thinks a plastic bag blowing down the sidewalk is definitely out to get him... He loves raw veggies (bell peppers are his favorite) , and when he hears me start chopping or peeling, comes running (he’s very disappointed when I’m cutting something he can’t have, like garlic or onions).....He is obsessive about routines. You may not forget to give him a treat after he goes out, bedtime can’t happen until he’s had his dental chew, and he let’s you know right when it’s 5 o’clock (dinner time), even after daylight savings, so we swear he reads the clock.... He despises baths and going out in the rain but loves running in shallow surf at the beach. He also takes ‘sand baths’ completely, covering himself with wet send, and it’s such a spectacle that we’ve had strangers stop to take videos... And the most convenient quirk ever— he always completely empties his bladder rather than wanting to pee every 10 ft like so many dogs.... and at almost 9 and still squats like a puppy to pee, as he never started lifting his leg.

All these little traits and more make him who he is, and we couldn’t love him more!

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'd love to hear the funniest or weirdest quirks your pups have!

I'll go first:

-Piper paws water out of her bowl to drink it off the floor. To combat this we put her bowl on top of a dinner plate so that when she paws the water it land on the plate and she drinks it off there

-When Piper gets a treat she REALLY likes she will play-fight it, toss it around, and run around trying to find the perfect spot to hide it for later. She likes to bury them in blankets or sometimes the sneaky little squirrel will hide a bully stick underneath the couch and flatten herself and army crawl underneath for it later.

Share your dog's weird little quirks!

I thought she was going behind the couch with this one but then she teleported to me and wanted it hidden by me haha:

Piper is so cute burying her treat in the blankets! Looks like you have an adorable little digger on your hands! (These videos are not helping my puppy fever!:))

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought of another: When Piper REALLY isn't pleased with going into her ex-pen she will take her snuffly bedtime-only toys out of her attached crate and throw them around. She ALWAYS leaves the teddy the breeder sent home with her, the stuffed moose we gave her, and her lambchop stuffed toy in her crate to snuggle with at night/naptime. When I see the crate stuffed animals outside the crate and being tossed around I know she's pissed 😂

·
Metrowest, MA
27,636 Posts
OK... one of Panda’s cutest is that she loves to wrap herself up if she is cold. I don’t do this to her... she grabs the dge of the blaket in her mouth and rolls over until she is wrapped like a mummy!

·
Metrowest, MA
27,636 Posts
And Kodi does lots of funny things, but I love his “Banana Dance” with Dave every day!:

·
Registered
146 Posts
GREAT thread! I am thoroughly enjoying reading about all the adorable quirks and seeing the videos. Oh my lord but Piper is too cute and her colouring is gorgeous!!

Uh oh, now I have that banana 🍌 song stuck in my head! 😂 BanaaaNA BanaaaNA....

·
Arf! Arf!
3,218 Posts
Occasionally I will be late a few minutes with RICKY's supper at 5 PM for various but good reasons. When that happens, he will come and sit in front of me and do his "sit pretty" trick without my asking. I just ignore him. Then he will lie down and do his "roll over" trick, without my asking. I just ignore him. Then I can see him thinking, you don't like any of those tricks, how about this? and he will get up on his hind legs and do his "mambo dance." By this time I am laughing out loud and he will sit in front of me and give me a loud, high pitched "chirp" bark that sounds all the world like a doggie swear word! 😲 I know I better get his food in his bowl PRONTO!

Another quirk is when I put him into his crate at night, he insists on passing on my right side only, never on my left, when entering into his crate. And when he is happily stimulated about something, he makes noises that sound like an excited chimp. A weird but very lovable dog.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Ernie is only six months old so I’m sure he’ll show us many more quirks as time goes on but currently the thing that makes me laugh most is watching him try and hide his 8 inch long bully sticks. He’s always attempting to get them in clever places but it’s often very difficult bc the stick is long and being held horizontally in his mouth. I love watching him march around the house scouting for new spots. He has successfully hid a large ligament bone which has been missing for over a month! He only has access to 2.5 rooms so it’s a real mystery. One other thing, apparently he’s an oddball havanese bc he genuinely enjoys spending time outside by himself particularly laying on the mat next to the back door. I find that to be quite quirky given that these little hams are known to be Velcro dogs.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
So Perry is the most sniffing dog I have ever known. Not that much of a quirk EXCEPT when he's pottying. Perry likes to smell his pee and poop - also not a quirk, right? Yes it is - because Perry likes to smell them while he's still doing them. So, while he's peeing, he will twist his body around so that be can smell his pee WHILE he is still peeing. This has occasionally resulted in him peeing on his back foot because he's twisted so far. He also can't wait to smell his poop until he's completely done, so he will drop 1-2 pieces, the pivot around so he can smell it and drop the 2nd or 3rd piece.

Perry doesn't like wet spots so he'll "cover" it up - when he was still having accidents on the throw rug by the door I always knew about it because he would use his face and push the rest of the rug over top of the wet spot. And once he had an accident in his crate (no idea why because he wasn't in it that long), and since there was no blanket in there (because of another quirk - that he likes to have blankets, but if it's in his crate he will take it and push it under his water bottle, probably to cover up a few drops of water from it, resulting in the ball being pushed up in the bottle and the whole bottle emptying on his blanket) he used his face to 'clean' up the pee (yep, immediate bath after that one!)

EDIT: I almost forgot one of his biggest quirks -- related to him being the sniffing-est dog I know. When I've left him in his crate, or been away from him for an "extended' (in his view - this could be 10 minutes) period of time he gets frantic until you let him sniff your breath AND the top of your head and then he calms down and all is well. It's as if he doesn't believe it's you or that you're ok until he has smelled your breath. He doesn't do this to all people, just a couple.

Occasionally I will be late a few minutes with RICKY's supper at 5 PM for various but good reasons. When that happens, he will come and sit in front of me and do his "sit pretty" trick without my asking. I just ignore him. Then he will lie down and do his "roll over" trick, without my asking. I just ignore him. Then I can see him thinking, you don't like any of those tricks, how about this? and he will get up on his hind legs and do his "mambo dance."
When Perry is super excited about whatever treat I have he will run through his whole repertoire of commands (no tricks) - sit, down, stand, down, sit... as if you can see him thinking "I know she wants one of these, but which one??"

... And when he is happily stimulated about something, he makes noises that sound like an excited chimp. A weird but very lovable dog.
Perry's "chimp" sound is more when he is distressed by an animal on the TV. I am convinced he thinks it's a window and there's a strange dog outside the house/ room.

One other thing, apparently he’s an oddball havanese bc he genuinely enjoys spending time outside by himself particularly laying on the mat next to the back door. I find that to be quite quirky given that these little hams are known to be Velcro dogs.
Perry is NOT a velcro dog either. He wants to know where I am, but he's very happy to lounge out on the floor or lie there staring out the window. He also liked to spend time outside in our yard in Kampala, lying in the sun.

I thought of another: When Piper REALLY isn't pleased with going into her ex-pen she will take her snuffly bedtime-only toys out of her attached crate and throw them around. She ALWAYS leaves the teddy the breeder sent home with her, the stuffed moose we gave her, and her lambchop stuffed toy in her crate to snuggle with at night/naptime. When I see the crate stuffed animals outside the crate and being tossed around I know she's pissed 😂
Not Perry but his scotty Uncle Duncan - he will occasionally play with his toys and likes to sleep on one, but when you let him out of his crate he has to grab a toy and carry it with him to the door or whereever - it is definitely him throwing a little snit and grabbing his comfort toy :)

·
Arf! Arf!
3,218 Posts
It's as if he doesn't believe it's you or that you're ok until he has smelled your breath. He doesn't do this to all people, just a couple.
Melissa, you need to get PERRY a breathalyzer and have him check you before he hands the car keys over to you! Just what you need, a police dog living with you!

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Melissa, you need to get PERRY a breathalyzer and have him check you before he hands the car keys over to you! Just what you need, a police dog living with you!
hahahaha.
I do wonder what he's looking for - whether he doesn't believe it's you by sight OR if he's checking to see if anything has changed. I do know that the day that he doesn't like the smell i will be seriously considering making a doctor's appointment!

My Dal wasn't a big sniffer, but she definitely could tell if something wasn't right. Once I had a major gallbladder infaction/ attack and was home on meds. I decided to go to work but then came home because I wasn't feeling well. When I was home lying on the couch she was acting all kinds of weird, whining, lying across my chest, etc. Before I left the office, a colleague wanted to take me to the hospital but I said "no I'm fine, I just need to lie down"... After getting home and Kelsey acting like that, I called him up and told him that maybe we should go to the hospital. I ended up on 3 days of IVs. So, I've learned to trust how my dog reacts :).

·
Metrowest, MA
27,636 Posts
One of Pam King’s dogs saved her from cancer!

·
Arf! Arf!
3,218 Posts
hahahaha.
I do wonder what he's looking for - whether he doesn't believe it's you by sight OR if he's checking to see if anything has changed. I do know that the day that he doesn't like the smell i will be seriously considering making a doctor's appointment!
I had my surgery 7 months ago. I was in ICU for a month during that period, RICKY and I were totally separated for that one month. When we were reunited after that one month, RICKY and I both lost it when we were reunited.

I would never call RICKY a particularly 'velcro dog'. He has always been very independent. However after returning home from surgery, RICKY refuses to let me out of his sight. He is constantly checking to see if HE thinks I am okay. And that is, of course, good medicine for me.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts