Havanese Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am confused as to when to have Lily spayed. My breeders says she won't go into her first heat until 8 months and wait as long as I can to give her the hormones she needs. My vet is telling me I have to have it done by 6 months so she doesn't go into heat and increase her risk of breast cancer. I have never had a female dog and don't know who to listen to. I want to do what is best for her. We are waiting for our next puppy a male and figured we would have him done around 5 months. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
Hi Lily's Mommy - My Lily and Lexi were done at 6 months & had no problems. My Logan was just neutered yesterday at 5 months & he is doing ok so far too. I definitely did NOT want the girls going into heat, that is why I did it at 6 months.
Laurie

·
Bugsy's Mom
4,362 Posts
I had my female standard poodle spayed around 6 1/2 months, as I didn't want her going into heat.

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
My vet recommends before 6 mos. For females, it is a preventative against breast cancer. For males, you hope it deters the marking they can do. Shelby (5.5mos) is going to be spayed tomorrow, and Kodi was done at 6 mos.

·
Mom to Dusty and Indie
1,181 Posts
We got Dusty when she was 7 1/2 months and had her spayed a week later. The vet said after the surgery that she was just about to go into heat. If we had the opportunity, we would have done it earlier. I've read that if you get it done too close to heat, it causes them more trouble with hormone swings. It's hard to say if Dusty had a harder time than she otherwise would have, but it didn't seem easy on her.

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
I wish I could help you, Rose Ann, but I've heard both opinions for female spaying as well. One woman who got a female from the same litter as our Ricky was told by the breeder to wait until her first heat. Ricky was done at 6.5 mths. I didn't want to neuter him too late as I wasn't interested in getting spraying in the house!

Hopefully, you'll get enough advice to make up your mind as to what might be best for Lily. I'm not sure it's all that big a deal, but what do I know?!

Good luck

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Rose Ann,
I suggest between 6-8 months for both males and females. Bitches can come into heat typically from 6 months on. However, most Havanese bitches seem to come into heat after 8 months. All of mine didn't have their first heat until they were 10 months old or older. I would not suggest you have it done before 6 months of age. That is just MY opinion though.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Kathy. My breeder told me the same thing, at first I was concerned with having a male and female and she assured me that most of her males aren't sexually matured until after a year so we had time while they will be togther. You have all been a great help.

·
Registered
456 Posts
coco will be 6 mo on sunday. she is going to be spayed friday am. she is also having those razoe sharp canine teeth removed! i hope this is the end of her trying to use my fingers to teeth on. that has been my biggest problem with her. i am as nervous as when one of my sons had his tonsils out. judith

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
I spayed Sheby at 5.5 mos, a little earlier than I normally would have, but she was starting Puppy class. I didn't want to wait another 8-10 more weeks to have it done when puppy classes ended.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all, we did decide to have Lily spayed at 6 months, which will be done on Friday this week. I feel like they are doing the surgery to me. But I know she'll be ok. She has her adult teeth coming in with the baby ones next to them. The Vet is going to decide if he can wait and let me fall out by themself or if she needs them pulled. The baby one are not loose at all. I have been rubbing her gums, when she lets me. Does anyone know if they have a pet safe "orajel" like we used for tooth pain? She's been a little out of sorts since the "baby brother" came home.

·
Registered
456 Posts
the baby teeth, the permanent teeth are coming in. i can tell it is bothering her, she grinds her jaw back and forth. i am so glad i got her an appointment in the am. the vet usually only does surgery on wednesdays, but he knows i am worried.

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
I wish mine had done that when Logan was neutered, I had to go back and have them extract the babies when they would not come out. Luckily they were only just hanging on, but they were caked with food, and his breath started to smell & thats how I found them. Seems to be fine now. Good luck today Lily - My Lily sends her good wishes!!
Laurie

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
My friend who has Tulip got her at about 11 weeks and she had aready been spayed by the breeder .. She had a no breed in her contract and offered to have it done by her vet as she had it done all the time .. She seemed fine but I thought it was young .. She was so tiny it just made me a little nervous .. Just a personal thing .. I know there are dogs smaller than the Havanese and they have to be spayed and they do just fine ..
My friend was relieved that it had been ""taken care of""
Murphy Asta's sister went into heat - I think she went into it a little early . They were thinking of breeding her but once I told them you have to show first etc get points etc they decided to spay her after that ..
Then they got her a male companion dog to hang out with ...:)

·
Registered
9,794 Posts
I was shocked :eek: when my vet told me that some people have their babies spayed at 6 WEEKS!!! I think that is cruel!!

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I feel the same way . I think it is just too risky but not everyone thinks the same way obviously .
I am with you .. EEk !!
Not to mention why so soon ...

·
Registered
456 Posts
well, coco had a big day today. besides getting spayed she had 7 baby teeth pulled. the canine teeth had roots longer than the tooth. the vet said that none were loose and the permanent teeth were coming in. i am glad we caught them in time.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
well, coco had a big day today. besides getting spayed she had 7 baby teeth pulled. the canine teeth had roots longer than the tooth. the vet said that none were loose and the permanent teeth were coming in. i am glad we caught them in time.
7 sounds like a lot! I hope she is doing well tonight. I guess if she had all those baby teeth hanging on and the adult teeth crowding in, she must have been getting very uncomfortable. :(

1 - 20 of 29 Posts