Havanese Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because of significant health problems, my still-young brother lives in a nursing home about 35 minutes away. He LOVES to see Smoky, and I've taken him over there twice so far for visits. But I tried putting his crate in the back of the car so that I could drive safely and Smoky cried allll the way there and nearly all the way home.

Smoky loves to ride in the car if he can sit in someone's lap, but I'm not sure what to do with him when I am by myself.

Where does your puppy ride? I'd really like to continue taking Smoky to see my brother, who loves dogs and spends so much time alone.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have Pupsaver car seats. They are rear facing and can be used in the front passenger seat.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

·
Metrowest, MA
29,823 Posts
It is really not safe to hold a dog in your lap. In an accident, the dog becomes a loose projectile in the car… a danger to humans an the dog himself. There are very few safe car seats, though the pupsaver is one, if your Havanese is a smaller one. Otherwise, crate training, including riding in a safe care crate, is part of your job as a pet owner!

·
Metrowest, MA
29,823 Posts
I have Pupsaver car seats. They are rear facing and can be used in the front passenger seat.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
Is it true that these are safe even without disabling the airbag?

·
Super Moderator
3,785 Posts
THAT is one cute Havanese! Let's see where was I?

Ricky uses the Kurgo Crash Tested Dog Harness. The 12" tether is looped through the seat belt. He isn't going anywhere in a crash. When two adults are in the car, he rides in the backseat behind the driver. When one adult is in the car, he rides shotgun in the front passenger seat. At 15 pounds he is NOT heavy enough to engage the front passenger air bag. I suppose there are safer options like wrapping him in bubble wrap but I find this arrangement more than satisfactory. We were in a front end accident about 6 months ago when he was in his front seat harness. Neither man nor beast suffered any injuries - the car was another story to the tune of $10K damage.

Reactions: Sheri

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
THAT is one cute Havanese! Let's see where was I?

Ricky uses the Kurgo Crash Tested Dog Harness. The 12" tether is looped through the seat belt. He isn't going anywhere in a crash. When two adults are in the car, he rides in the backseat behind the driver. When one adult is in the car, he rides shotgun in the front passenger seat. At 15 pounds he is heavy enough to disable the front passenger air bag. I suppose there are safer options like wrapping him in bubble wrap but I find this arrangement more than satisfactory. We were in a front end accident about 6 months ago when he was in his front seat harness. Neither man nor beast suffered any injuries - the car was another story to the tune of $10K damage.
Thank you! I will take a look at this. Just in case we run short on bubble wrap :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is really not safe to hold a dog in your lap. In an accident, the dog becomes a loose projectile in the car… a danger to humans an the dog himself. There are very few safe car seats, though the pupsaver is one, if your Havanese is a smaller one. Otherwise, crate training, including riding in a safe care crate, is part of your job as a pet owner!
[/QUOT
Thanks! We are doing crate training, just trying to find a safe and happy option for the car.

·
Metrowest, MA
29,823 Posts
Kiki uses a booster seat by Kurgo. It connects around one of the back seats. She clips in.

View attachment 176728

I found an article that lists some options:8 Best Car Seats for Your Dog
unfortunately, this kind of car seat puts the dog right up ar the level where flying glass in a crash can hit them.Their safety in it also depends on the type of harness they are wearing and the clip used to connect it to the seat.

That said, ANY restraint is better than none.

·
Metrowest, MA
29,823 Posts
Thank you! I will take a look at this. Just in case we run short on bubble wrap :)
While Ricky may have fared well in his crash, the problem with ALL car harnesses is that they do not protect the dog’s neck in a crash.

·
Registered
513 Posts
We were using a sleepy pod harness for Charlie for several years, but discontinued it after his IVDD diagnosis. Jolene is too small for one of the harnesses anyway, so they are both in crash-tested crates strapped into the back of our small SUV. I was worried they would be unhappy further away from us, but they both LOVE their crates in the back. They have nice cozy beds and just enough room to stretch out. Traveling on the east coast recently we were back to car carriers in the second seat, and neither of them liked that set up as much, and she would whine from time to time or scratch to get out. Back in their crates, they both handled a 4 hour drive Monday (with a bathroom break in the middle) without so much as a whimper.

I know not everyone has the space to do crates, as they do take up more space than other options, so would reinforce what Karen said… that anything that restrains them is better than nothing! I know of someone who recently was in a very bad accident with severe injuries bc their dog jumped into their lap while they were driving and distracted them. Thankfully she and the dog are now ok, but the distraction risk and the risk of them becoming a projectile are very real.

·
Premium Member
3,204 Posts
Since you still have a puppy open to training (and it sounds like he is already crate trained at home) I would try to improve his comfort in the crate. Maybe there’s somewhere you can move it closer to an air vent, or make it darker. Try some positive reinforcement when the car isn’t moving, and very short trips (even around the block), with playtime afterwards. If you know the problem isn’t carsickness, and you know what chews are safest for him, maybe there’s something he can chew only in the crate.

I used a small travel carrier when Sundance was a puppy but I switched to a booster seat when he outgrew it. We spend a lot of time in the car, especially waiting places, and I wanted to be able to let him out frequently when we reached a destination without having to get out of the car in the snow to go around to the back. If I could fit a crate or travel carrier on the backseat it would have been my first choice (my travel carrier had instructions for strapping it in the long way but I was a little skeptical, and my husband is tall and has to move the seat all of the way back anyway). The booster allows enough room for passengers and backpacks. It is a legitimate risk. i remember someone posting not too long ago about one of the travel carriers fitting between kids in smaller cars but i don’t remember which was it was. i have a different car now, and we’re about to replace DH’s, so I might make a change.

I have been known to let my kids hold Sundance on long trips. I’d like to say it’s the influence of my husband, who grew up riding in the back of pickups. But since we hardly ever go on those kinds of trips it’s just easy to forget I would never let one of my kids get in the car without a seatbelt or car seat, especially with the novelty of him happily snuggling someone. This is probably why it’s best to make these decisions ahead of time.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Mando uses the Away carrier. I wouldn’t say he loves it but he willingly goes into it because he knows it means he’s going somewhere (hopefully fun) in the car with us. If he gets much bigger, we’ll have to figure out something else. He just turned a year old last week and is hopefully done growing.

·
Metrowest, MA
29,823 Posts
Mando uses the Away carrier. I wouldn’t say he loves it but he willingly goes into it because he knows it means he’s going somewhere (hopefully fun) in the car with us. If he gets much bigger, we’ll have to figure out something else. He just turned a year old last week and is hopefully done growing.

He should be pretty much done!

Reactions: Mando's Mommy
1 - 18 of 18 Posts