Havanese Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

Registered
They are just so beautiful馃グ馃グ馃グ馃グ馃グ馃グ馃グ馃グ馃グI just want to kiss their little pink noses! Do you know how long they stay that colour for? (Don鈥檛 panic am just curious, am not actually booking a plane ticket...or am I???馃ぃ馃ぃ) 馃槝

Metrowest, MA
Discussion Starter #22
They are just so beautiful馃グ馃グ馃グ馃グ馃グ馃グ馃グ馃グ馃グI just want to kiss their little pink noses! Do you know how long they stay that colour for? (Don鈥檛 panic am just curious, am not actually booking a plane ticket...or am I???馃ぃ馃ぃ) 馃槝
well, they are sables, so they are not likely to stay the color they are right now. The owner of the stud says that the lighter puppies look just like this dog (sister of the stud) did as a newborn. No idea on the darker one. So we鈥檒l see!

Metrowest, MA
Discussion Starter #24
I was amazed by Momma's beautiful teeth too!
She does have very nice teeth!:) That鈥檚 something that I think is really important, and so does Elinor.

Arf! Arf!
@krandall I offer Elinor a suggestion for naming her new "crew" with names from a poem my mother read to me from my earliest memories. The three males would be "Wynken, Blynken, and Nod" and the female would be "Shoebe" (Wooden Shoe) from a poem of the same name by Eugene Field - Wynken, Blynken, and Nod by Eugene Field - Poems | poets.org. I was first born child and first born grandchild on both sides. My parents had the foresight to purchase the ChildCraft series of books for me when I was born. They were expensive for them and they didn't have much money, but they made me (and two additional children to come) a priority . My mother read to me from the books, which contained classic poetry, fables, and stories on a daily basis and at bedtime.

Metrowest, MA
Discussion Starter #27
@krandall I offer Elinor a suggestion for naming her new "crew" with names from a poem my mother read to me from my earliest memories. The three males would be "Wynken, Blynken, and Nod" and the female would be "Shoebe" (Wooden Shoe) from a poem of the same name by Eugene Field - Wynken, Blynken, and Nod by Eugene Field - Poems | poets.org. I was first born child and first born grandchild on both sides. My parents had the foresight to purchase the ChildCraft series of books for me when I was born. They were expensive for them and they didn't have much money, but they made me (and two additional children to come) a priority . My mother read to me from the books, which contained classic poetry, fables, and stories on a daily basis and at bedtime.
Awww, that鈥檚 sweet! i clearly remember that poem!

Reactions: ShamaMama

Premium Member
Today is the first day of my Spring Break. I can't believe Panda is less than 10 days from having her puppies! I need to get reading that thread!

Congrats to Elinor and her crew! BEAUTIFUL!

馃挌馃挍馃А馃挏馃挋

Premium Member
Wow Karen. I guess you can chalk up the puppy births to a learning experience for your near future (can't believe it's in only 10 days or so!). They look so fat! What is the average weight for a newborn Havie?

Metrowest, MA
Discussion Starter #30
Wow Karen. I guess you can chalk up the puppy births to a learning experience for your near future (can't believe it's in only 10 days or so!). They look so fat! What is the average weight for a newborn Havie?
I鈥檝e been helping a friend whelp her litters for several years now. But this is the first one with scary complications. Most of the time, Havanese do a pretty good job by themselves, and just need humans standing by as 鈥渟upport staff鈥. This was a little more 鈥渆xciting鈥 than I wanted! LOL!

These guys ARE large (AND fat! LOL!). Which DOESN鈥橳, BTW, equate to adult sizes at all. I鈥檓 not sure about average size of Havanese puppies at birth. Pam and Tom King, who have whelped SO many more litters probably could answer that question better. I do know that puppies in smaller litters tend to be larger, just because there are less puppies sharing the room and the nutrition, though this was sort of an 鈥渁verage鈥 size litter. But the bitch is small, and it was her first litter. That, plus the first two puppies trying to come together caused the problem.

Tucker 2007-2020
And here are today's photos... all cleaned up and looking very pretty and very proud of herself and her pretty puppies! The one with the most white on her face was the "trouble maker" girlie! LOL! View attachment 174036 View attachment 174037
On my screen, Karen, (just to let you know) the second, Puppy Pile, photo is blocked as not appropriate for viewers under 18, unless I click on it and it loads. The Forum is fairly wonky, to think puppy pictures on a Dog Page is inappropriate. :rolleyes:

Metrowest, MA
Discussion Starter #33
On my screen, Karen, (just to let you know) the second, Puppy Pile, photo is blocked as not appropriate for viewers under 18, unless I click on it and it loads. The Forum is fairly wonky, to think puppy pictures on a Dog Page is inappropriate. :rolleyes:
That is just ridiculous. They allow puppy mill ads to sit for days, yet block a photo of 4 sweet, adorable puppies in a pile.

Reactions: Ricky Ricardo

Arf! Arf!
@Sheri the problem is with your account settings. Go to your account and then under "preferences" check the box that says "allow mature content" (or something like that). You will then be able to see @krandall puppies. I don't know why the software algorithm is written that way (to block some pictures) but I have my 'allow mature content' checked and have no problem viewing Karen's photos.

Metrowest, MA
Discussion Starter #35
@Sheri the problem is with your account settings. Go to your account and then under "preferences" check the box that says "allow mature content" (or something like that). You will then be able to see @krandall puppies. I don't know why the software algorithm is written that way (to block some pictures) but I have my 'allow mature content' checked and have no problem viewing Karen's photos.
It is ridiculous that that is CONSIDERED mature content, however.

Reactions: Melissa Brill

Tucker 2007-2020
Wow, really, Popi! I had no idea. I'll try to find how to get to the change for that. I'm not real techie. Thank you.

It is very ridiculous that a picture of puppies is considered "mature content," though.

Premium Member
Thanks for the tip. I just checked off the box "allow mature content" and I still can't see it.

Premium Member
The average weight of newborn puppies is 6-1/4, to 6-1/2 ounces. Often, there are some smaller, and some larger. One over 8 oz. is not really That unusual, and 4 oz. is not small enough to worry about either.

The smallest I can remember, that survived, and thrived, was 2-7/8 oz. He came out scrambling for a nipple. We make sure the small ones get the back ones until they catch up some, since they're typically the largest milk supply. If I were betting, I'd bet this little guy will be the top Havanese in Agility, in a few years. He's already about average size now, and I think a little over a year old.

Pam, and I have tag-teamed a few small ones all hours, for as much as a couple of weeks, only to lose them. It's a pretty violent process, that requires some luck to be born okay.

Birth weight has little to do with final, grown size. I think it depends on how well they were supplied nutrition in the womb, but that's just personal guess. The smaller ones often catch up, and even pass some of the others in size, while they're still nursing. They all get weighed every day.

Tucker 2007-2020
Thanks for that info, Tom, it is interesting, and sad to think of the ones you lost. That would be so hard, and just another reason I wouldn't be a good breeder, I think.

Heather, did you click on the "Save" button after changing to "allow mature content?" I just about missed that.
Thanks for the tip. I just checked off the box "allow mature content" and I still can't see it.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts