Havanese Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
I can vouch for MidWest, I believe I got the 24" size and Enzo, pretty much fully grown, still isn't tall enough to jump out. However, any metal playpen should work. I don't like the fabric ones because puppies tend to teeth on them and can ingest the fabric. Plastic is probably fine too but less durable.

Since I am working with a pretty tight budget, I just bought a tarp from Lowe's instead of vinyl for the floor, and it works fine. Enzo never bothered to chew on it but I would watch just in case with a new puppy. I like it because it's easy to clean, and not like any surface texture we have in the home. He has inadvertently learned that tarp is OK to pee on, even though he will also use pee pads. I would just keep that in mind if it matters to you for whatever reason.

Enzo still mostly goes potty outside and learned that quickly with consistency and effort, though the other day in our agility class there was a tarp set out for the dogs to interact with and while on it, Enzo took the opportunity to relieve himself XD. He also dislikes going potty in the rain, and if I don't watch him closely enough, he may try to finish his business inside on the tarp, but we are working on it. Otherwise it hasn't caused any issues for us.

·
Registered
93 Posts
It is rarely a case of a puppy jumping out of an ex-pen, (though it CAN happen) ALMOST always, it is a case of them climbing up and jumping off the top. Which means that the height is really immaterial. Once they learn to climb, they can climb any height, and just get hurt worse from a taller pen. The only answer in those cases is either a pen with just vertical bars (there are a few) or a cover for the pen. (There are a number of options on Amazon)

Midwest (and similar, Amazon Basics is even cheaper!) is definitely the least expensive and totally serviceable. If you are short, or buy taller than 24”, get one eith a gate that you can step through. They are only a few dollars more.

Also, it really isn’t all about the height of the dog whether they will jump out or not. Kodi has been able to stand with his front feet on the top of a 24” pen and his head and shoulders are WAY over it. He has (mistakenly, but EASILY) jumped 24” jumps in the agility and obedience ring when he was younger. ALL my dogs (except Kodi now that he is older) easily jump onto my bed which is well over 24” high, so there is no doubt in my mind that they COULD jump a 24” pen. But they respect it, because they have been used to it since they were little puppies, and feel comfortable and safe there. I’ve seen Great Danes who respect 24” ex-pens. (Which is actually pretty funny, ;))

Cloth pens, like cloth crates, should NEVER be used for puppies without close supervision, for the reasons you mentioned and more. Only when a dog is mature and fully trained to crates and pens should they ever be left unattended in a soft-sided crate or pen, and even then, only after you’ve tride them in it supervised a number of times.

Plastic pens, at least Iris pens, are VERY durable. I would actually say, owning both, that they are MORE durable than Midwest pens. They can be left outdoors, long term, without rusting or breaking down. They are easily washed, and there is no paint to peel off. The PROBLEMS are that they don’t fold down into a nice, easy to store foot-print, and IMO, worst, is they have this STUPID gate that a human can’t walk through! I have one, and I use it in pieces in outdoor applications. Two sections block the steps off our porch and deck, and the rest of it blocks the tractor gate out of our back yard, where there is a low spot that the dogs could get under. I don’t love them, but not because they aren’t durable.

Does Enzo have a potty tray in his pen? And has he been trained to use it? My guess is that if he had, he would not have starteted thinking of the tarp as an appropriate place to potty.
He had a pee pad, and used it consistently, but since we've mostly transitioned to going outside to potty he started generalizing in his brain that playpen tarp floor is OK to pee on. lol. It's not a big deal to me, I know I can retrain him to the pad and he will still use it when available but I prefer him going outside and he prefers going outside too now. This is especially true because he started having issues where to him, the carpet/rug texture was close enough to pee pad in his mind to pee on...🥲 He's mostly stopped that behavior and I'd say 99% of the time goes to the door to potty (hes in his teen regression era right now though). I tried using a litter tray/box when he was small but he just used it as a bed 🤦 I removed it eventually and stuck to pee pads/outside potty.

Also to your first point, I forgot that I actually did have to train Enzo to respect the gate when we started using it. He got rewarded for four on the floor and laying down peacefully inside the pen. He's not tried to climb out because he knows he isn't supposed to.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts