Havanese Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the opportunity recently to visit a Havanese breeder and see some real live Havanese for the first time. I must admit, they have to be the sweetest little dogs one could want. One thing which I noticed, was that one of the pure white dogs had feet which were "stained" about the colour of tea...similar to some staining around the mouth and eye area. The staining was about 2" up the leg. The breeder told me that the staining was due to the feet getting wet and possibly due to the dog licking them. The question I have is "is this type of staining a big problem" because I don't really like it. If it is due to the feet getting wet would simply drying the feet solve the problem?.....just curious how any of you experiencing similar problems have dealt with it.

David :)

·
Bugsy's Mom
4,362 Posts
I hope one of our wonderful resident breeders will chime in, but that sounds strage. I have a light cream Havanese who only stays clean until I get him outside, because he plays so hard. But, he has no tea color staining anywhere on his legs. Sometime when their eyes run they get that color around the eyes. If the breeder feeds the food with color additives, it may cause the stains around the mouth, but tea staining around their paws might mean that the puppies have some sort of allergies and they might chew on them. I feed only holistic dog food and there are no unsightly staining anywere. Bugsy did outgrow his runny eyes (knock on wood, at least for now). I am very intersted what the experts will say. Sounds like you might want to check out another breeder.

Edited to add that the only stains Bugsy gets are the mud kind. ;)

Best,

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
Julia, what? no grass? Jasper walks around all summer with green feet. David, get a dark dog- they don't show the eye, mouth or feet staining as much, but rust stains on the feet sounds a little odd.

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
I've seen a couple of different types of staining on Havanese.

The pinkish-orangish staining is usually caused by saliva, whether it be around the mouth or on feet. Sometimes that pink staining on the feet can be a sign of allergies or just boredom.

There is a grey dingy stain that comes from blacktop (tar/oil residue), which my white girl would often pick up when we went to our training class. I had to wash her feet as soon as we got home each time so it wouldn't permanently stain.

Then there is the yellowish staining on feet or between legs or under the rectum. This is usually caused by urine or fecal matter. This can be removed with an enzymatic shampoo.

However, there are a few dogs, including two top champions in the show ring here, that appear to have a yellowish stain to their feet, but I think it is just their coloring. Both are groomed by people who are very diligent and wouldn't allow urine or fecal staining, so I'm inclined to think it is part of the hair instead.

All in all, I can't see the pup in question to tell what kind of staining you see, but hopefully some of the above information will be helpful for you.

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
Oh! I just thought of one more staining I've seen and it is only in young puppies - they get the pinkish-orange stain on their front feet from nursing. (Sucking and kneading with their front paws.) All of my white feet puppies got that when they were very little. They all outgrew it too.

·
Bugsy's Mom
4,362 Posts
Julia, what? no grass? Jasper walks around all summer with green feet. David, get a dark dog- they don't show the eye, mouth or feet staining as much, but rust stains on the feet sounds a little odd.
Yes there is grass, but for some reason only mud/wet sand stick. ;)

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
I have heard that the eye and mouth type of 'rust' staining is often due to what the Hav is eating, and is usually corrected by changing their food. There are products on the market to help with the look of it, but they won't solve the problem long-term. I do believe though, that it is a myth that having beets or beet 'powder' in the dog food actually stains. The product that is usually found in dog food isn't red/purple, it's more of a beige powder so no worries there.

I don't have a white-footed Hav ...... yet! Our #2 that we're picking up on Sunday does have white-ish beige feet so this will be interesting!

Ricky, who is mostly all black has the rust color all around his nose and it is obvious, but not unsightly so I don't worry about it.

·
Oreo's Mom
2,099 Posts
David, I have a black and white Irish pied and I have not had any problem with staining on his feet. It surprises me because there is mud, snow and wet sidewalks here. It will be a while before the nice weather comes and dries things up, but Oreo's slipper feet are as white as white can be. Mind you, I make sure to bath him weekly, I can't stand how smelly he gets from all the mud, snow and water outside.

·
Kimberly
10,275 Posts
I do believe though, that it is a myth that having beets or beet 'powder' in the dog food actually stains. The product that is usually found in dog food isn't red/purple, it's more of a beige powder so no worries there.
Marj, you're right. The beets in dog food are sugar beets, not the red beets we serve at dinner.

·
Mom to Dusty and Indie
1,181 Posts
Dusty also has irish pied markings and is white everywhere that is hard to keep clean. Her feet do get dirty, but a bath has always made them white again. No staining problems. Often, just brushing get the "dust" out and makes her look clean again after she's gotten dirty.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for your comments; they have been very helpful. I am inclined to think that the stain could have possibly been pinkish orange...she did say that the staining around the mouth was caused by saliva and it was the same colour as the feet....so probably it is caused by chewing of the feet. The colour I am looking for is either a black and tan or the Irish Pied so hopefully the feet will be dark and won't show as much.....but I am glad to know that it is not a common problem on white footed dogs.

David

·
Registered
8,619 Posts
So far so good. No staining on feet, and they both have white feet.

·
Mom to Ricky and Sammy
10,319 Posts
"Marj, you're right. The beets in dog food are sugar beets, not the red beets we serve at dinner."

*** THAT'S what it is! I knew I was right about something...... lol

·
Registered
841 Posts
One of my border collie mixes has white paws and when he gets bored, and doesn't have something else to chew, he tends to lick and chew at the bottom of his feet and they turn a pinkish color. But it seems to mainly be on the very bottoms where the pads are.

·
Samson & Delilah's Mom
2,683 Posts
A freshly mowed lawn, Sam turns green, :eek: but it washes off easily. Some treats that pups hold in their paws to eat can cause staining, from saliva and the dyes that may be in the treat.

·
Goldie and Stogie
2,301 Posts
Its possble the dog was chewing or licking on her feet. Goldie does this and sometimes it does start to turn the stain color, because its saliva.

There could be a million reasons why. Goldies mom does it and we have to put something on her feet to stop. Just tonight Goldie was licking her foot constantly and making a mat. Its spring, it could be allergies. It could be food, it cold be a hundred things. I wouldnt worry. Whatever it is, it most likely can be controlled.

·
Casper and Missy
2,194 Posts
I have a white/cream colored dog and I don't have any of those kind of staining - never have. I enjoy my color of my dog, he is really an attractive dog.
He loves running in fields and gets plenty dirty, we give him a bath once a week-takes us about 1-2 hours to groom him ( dry, brush, nails, etc.).

·
Registered
11,746 Posts
I agree Lynn, Casper is a very handsome dog!!! Having both a light and a dark dog now...Cash does hide the dirt more(unless it is a shredded pee pad) But, because you can see Jasper's eyes more he has a much more expressive face, almost human.

So, David, there are trade-offs between light and dark.

Sam and Stogie are probably the perfect colors for hiding stains and still being able to see the face-- but I bet when you finally find the dog of your dreams, none of that will matter.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts