Havanese Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Why did I choose a Havanese?

Having been dogless for a few years and (finally) convincing my husband to get a puppy, I started researching what would fit our needs:
- non-shedding (anyone who's ever had or been around a Dalmatian can understand this one as they shed constantly!)
- small enough to fly in cabin with us (the stress of traveling with a larger dog - is it too hot, too cold, and hoping they're fine in cargo - mine always was, but it was stressful) but not too small (was looking ideally in the 13-14 pound range)
- not a typical yippy small dog
- rescue (if at all possible)

Once we did the research, there were several that would have fit many of the requirements (Scotty, any mini/toy poodle mix, Schnauzer, Cavashon,) but for some the size was on the bigger side and we didn't want to chance that but the Havanese seemed to fit what we wanted. Finding a purebred through a rescue is always difficult (and for size reasons I was hoping for one, or at least one where the mix was known), as well as finding a rescue that would be willing to adopt to us (travel a lot, live out of the country so couldn't do a home check, our vets were in Ethiopia with only health certificate visits to our US vet) and the low end of the size was a concern (I really didn't want a 7-8 pounder).

Several rescues said no very quickly. A few were open but the timing didn't work (had to be available when we were going to be in the US), but late last year we widened our search to places we might need to travel some time to and found a rescue outside of Pittsburgh that just got about 10 Havs from a breeder going out of business, so it all worked out.

No regrets - Perry is an amazing puppy (now if we could just get him past his fear issues!)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mojo chose us. I was set on a Cairn terrier but when we were told about this little girl being available, we went to see her.

The Cairn I was falling in love with was very hyper and nippy, which scared my grandson. Then we heard about a Havanese that a women in the next town over had bought and, two weeks in, knew she did not have the patience or time to train. She had not even named her.

The family went to meet the pup together, and she snuggled into my grandson's lap and licked his hand. I then did all the reading on the breed, and called the woman to say we wanted her. We brought her home that day, and she is perfect for our family. Not yappy, unless she feels threatened (stranger enters the house), playful, easy to train, and a little sweetie with our grandson ( they are never left alone together, always supervised). Nothing but joy.

·
Registered
863 Posts
As mean as this may sound, if you want to avoid a higher risk of health issues, and vet bills, or worse, losing the love of your life far too early, then go to a responsible breeder with a long track record and get a pup that has been health tested. Havanese rescues could be products of puppy mills, with all kinds of emotional and physical issues that may not show until you are already smitten by those woeful eyes or a few years have passed. I say this because most responsible breeders will have you sign a contract that if your dog doesn't work out for you, you must bring it back to the breeder. They CARE who gets their dogs and that they go to good homes. A well-bred Havanese rarely winds up in a "rescue". There is usually a waiting list for a good Hav.

Reasons for a Havanese:
Happy, loving, clownish, wonderful personalities, SMART, loves to please, LISTENS intently to every word you say and learns quickly, loves to be by your side always.
Mine does not shed, (except the puppy coat at about a year old).
Small in size (9-11 lbs), never barks unless someone is at the door

I wouldn't recommend a Havanese (for the dog's sake) if you are not with the pup most of the day. I've had lots of other breeds that didn't mind being alone, but Havanese LOVE being with people. Try to match a dog breed with your lifestyle and home accommodations.

·
Premium Member
3,595 Posts
I agree that the ideal home for a Havanese would be one where s/he can be with his/her person/people most of the day. We needed to get a Havanese, however, because my DH had an allergic reaction to every other kind of dog he met! We think Shama is well adjusted despite our long absences during the school year. She is visited once a day by a dog walker, and we dote on her evenings, weekends, during breaks from school, and all summer long. I regularly take her to obedience and agility classes, and DH is her favorite playmate. We love this breed for everything everyone else already said, but I must say that Shama does bark a lot. I blame it on the yappy dogs in the neighborhood. One of these days, I'm going to work on stopping at least some of the barking . . .

·
Registered
863 Posts
Really good tips! Tux barks at the door just because it's fun, and as a young pup, he witnessed us running to the door as if the house were on fire in order to not inconvenience the person waiting at the door. Tux interpreted that as, "Door Knock" time to get really excited, run and bark all at the same time.....OH BOY, What fun!!!!!

This is going to take some work. LOL

·
Registered
156 Posts
I decided on a havanese because I wanted a smaller non-yappy dog that was smart and friendly
I absolutely love sprocket he is the perfect choice
When he plays he is a little barky but not an annoying yappy bark lol it's cute
He makes me laugh all the time has such a fun personality
He learns so fast definitely the smartest dog I've ever had and listens so well always wanting to please me
For me the only downside to a havanese is all the grooming but I've been keeping his hair short which helps immensely it's not too bad now but I do love the long coat on havanese just a little too much grooming to keep it for me lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
We chose a Havanese because we needed a hypoallergenic dog for my daughter with health issues. After researching Havs seemed to be a good choice because of their good personalities and reputation for not being too yappy. Our little guy has been a great fit. He’s still a puppy but seems really smart.

·
Premium Member
3,199 Posts
We chose a Havanese because we needed a hypoallergenic dog for my daughter with health issues. After researching Havs seemed to be a good choice because of their good personalities and reputation for not being too yappy. Our little guy has been a great fit. He's still a puppy but seems really smart.
I would also like to contribute to reviving this thread because i agree that Havs are a great breed for special health needs. I don't have the time, experience, or budget to make it happen, but if I could I would love for our 2nd Havanese to become a medical alert dog. Maybe it'll be #3 to send with DS when he goes off to college!

DS is medically fragile and has poor dexterity so I was worried s smaller dog would be too delicate, but DS also can't keep up with a big dog. Around 4-6 months it was a little rough since the puppy had grown a lot and was still in that early, super high energy phase. 12yr old DS couldn't manage him on walks or take him potty without help and really wanted to do these things independently. Now at 1yr and 13lbs he's still a playful young dog but he's also settling down and has made a lot of progress with training. DS can take him for short walks, but I do secretly tire the puppy a little first so he doesn't pull DS along (he doesn't really pull with anyone else anymore :) He's adaptable when DS is sick and can spend days laying next to him on the sofa. He prefers exercise every day, but he can go every other day when DS is sick as long as we give him quality attention. No issues whatsoever with asthma/breathing related issues, even while puppy was blowing coat.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I love little, happy dogs. I've had a black toy poodle and a white bichon. I wanted a coat color that was a little different. Sheba has three colors, black, tan, and white.
Sheba is SO cute! And yes, the happiness factor is over the top with these hav's. Smiles & laughs are unavoidable, & who doesn't need more of that!

·
Patti
39 Posts
Why Did I Choose a Havanese

About 10 years ago I had seen a man walking a cute, spritely little dog past me as I sat on a park bench. I hurried up to them, and asked what kind of dog it was. It was my first encounter with a Havanese. During that time we had a very special lab/shepherd girl who lived to 15. Since then we had been dogless, and thought we were done with pets. Well, that little Havanese was still stuck in my heart. So my husband relented and we picked up our little girl last December. She has been perfect for us in every way. She is small, non-shedding, she is an adaptable little pup who doesn't mind (or hopefully loves) the sailing life all summer in Michigan. She also likes riding in the car, and at times long trips with hotels (read noise!). She is quite high energy, but we wouldn't have it any other way. She LOVES other dogs, no matter the size, and loves people, although she is cautious in the initial meeting (I'm ok with that). She is loving, cuddly, and so smart. We love her beautiful face, and think she looks like a wise sage. We love her curiosity and need to learn about everything. We are so lucky to have found her! Havanese rock!

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
I taught puppy classes at our local dog training club in the 1990's. In 1999 I had a Havanese puppy in one of my classes. It was the smartest, happiest puppy. I decided that when the time was right I was going to get a Havanese. It took 14 years before we got Leo and almost 3 years later to add Rex. If we had had Havanese in our lives earlier many other rescues and the corgis wouldn't have had a home with us. The Havanese happy attitude, quick to learn, acceptance of people and other animals, low shedding, and small size are all things I love about the breed.

·
Registered
237 Posts
My heart dog, Abbey, was hit by a car. Her big sister, Sam, who led her to play in the road, was distraught. So was I, but Sam needed a new friend...
I went online and found a Bichon breeder and went to meet her and pick out a puppy. I lost my heart to the three pound curly mop climbing over the baby gate....
She bred Bichons Frises, Havanese and Maltese. I went home with my Bichon Frise Lollipop and returned within a month to help her retire and find homes for her 40 or so dogs. (Not a very reputable breeder but a very loving one).
And the dog who I fell in love with climbed the chain link fence at my home and adopted us. She was the "Apricot" one who never got named but got to stay. After researching her coat color she is actually 'champagne' which I am glad I didn't know at the time or her name would aptly be pagne ( hehe) My Kati is who filled my heart and almost the hole Abbey left.
I had never heard of Havanese. I was a Bichon girl through and through. Now I am torn and will probably have to have one of each from now on.
I also would like to get into breeding eventually and think Havanese are a better fit. My grandmother bred championship Labradors and it has been my dream since I was little to breed dogs.

Amazingly Havanese are Way easier to groom than a Bichon. My Apri-Kati is healthier, sillier, and more cunning than any of my Bichons. She also lives in her own little universe which occasionally crosses mine, lol.

Thanks for the opportunity to share.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
When my husband was running for the state legislature, I knocked on a fateful door. The man inside didn't want to hear anything about the coming election but I got him talking about the beautiful, well-behaved dog he was wearing on his forearm. I'd never heard of a Havanese, but this puppy charmed me. I don't know if he voted for my husband or not, but I decided that I had to have one of those dogs.

I did research and we "matched." I'm home all day and they want their person home all day. They're tiny, I'm tiny. And they are absolutely adorable. I ran into trouble finding a Havanese breeder, and we resigned ourselves to a long wait and a long drive to pick one up. Later. After the election.

In the meantime, I tormented myself with pictures of little dogs on the Humane Society website. And one day I saw a picture of a two-year-old Havanese mix. Three hours later, we had a dog. And we lucked out--this little one was housebroken, willing to bond immediately, and had all the traits of a Havanese (with just a few extra inches). It was three weeks until the election, so we had a bit of a conflict in hours, but our daughter helped out and we made it through.

·
Premium Member
4,322 Posts
When my husband was running for the state legislature, I knocked on a fateful door. The man inside didn't want to hear anything about the coming election but I got him talking about the beautiful, well-behaved dog he was wearing on his forearm. I'd never heard of a Havanese, but this puppy charmed me. I don't know if he voted for my husband or not, but I decided that I had to have one of those dogs.
Well, first of all, did your husband win the election?

Your discovery of Havanese is very similar to mine. We were camping and I was out walking my corgi in her wheelchair and a couple stopped and talked to me about my corgi. They were also wearing a Havanese on their forearm! I was charmed by their dog. When I eventually lost by corgi, Foxy, and started looking for another dog, I couldn't get their Havanese out of my mind. Everything I read about the breed fit what I was seeking - small, non-shedding, smart, friendly, lap dog, generally healthy, not a recreational barker, etc.

·
Premium Member
3,596 Posts
Our Daughter got us involved with them. When she was 8, her friend had a small mixed breed dog that lived in their house, and she had a litter of puppies. Our Daughter wanted a small dog to do the same thing with our family.

We had bred horses for some time, and Pam had bred Malamutes in the 1970's. All our dogs had been stray dogs that just showed up on our farm, and we always spayed, and neutered them. None lived in the house, but were just loose on our farm.

Pam told our Daughter that the World already had too many dogs, but if she could find one that the World needed more of, we would consider it. We thought that would be the end of it.

We live in a County with one of the poorest school systems in the state, so we homeschooled for educational reasons. I forget how many libraries we belonged to, but I'm sure it was more than five.

Our Daughter read every dog book in any of those libraries, and came up with the Havanese. Pam asked her why the World needed more of them, and she said that they were hypoallergenic, and people who had allergies could have a dog. They looked like a good size to live in a house.

We told her that we would only get the best possible individual dogs to start a breeding program with. We thought that would be the end of it.

We went to visit a breeder, a couple of states away, never having met a Havanese before. At that time, there were about 400 of them in the Country. At our visit with that breeder, we decided we would not buy a dog from them, but fell in love with the dogs.

A two year search never turned up a dog that we were impressed enough with, until we found our Twinkle. She was a daughter of the top bitch in rare breeds, by the biggest producer of Champions. She was also gorgeous, even as a tiny thing, with lots of personality.

We found a male a short time later, and Trip came to live with us. Both of them lived to be almost 18 years old.

Twinkle didn't go into the show ring until she was 5, and very quickly finished her Championship. Pam has now finished, I believe, 19 Champions that came out of our house.

Pam never showed Twinkle in rare breed shows, but a couple of years later, the breed went with AKC. Having understood conformation through our time with horses, we quickly learned what was good, and bad in Havanese conformation, and Pam ended up teaching AKC Judges Education seminars all over the country teaching Judges how to judge Havanese, and in great detail back then, different than it is now that they've been in the show ring for a couple of decades.

Now we average around 14 of them living in our house, and in the chairs with us at night. I built an addition onto our house dedicated to them, and our life revolves around them.

I think we've now have bred 8, or maybe more, generations through some of our boys, because they are bred a little earlier than the females sometimes, since a female may have a cycle only well after they are old enough to complete their health testing. We have recently bred our 7th generation along the female line from Twinkle.

They are very much loved, and nurtured here.

·
Registered
226 Posts
In 2016 I had never heard of a Havanese until I was looking on a rescue site where they said one of the dogs was part Havanese. I thought it was sooo cute so I googled Havanese. That was it for me. Started doing the research and decided it was the perfect dog. Ended up driving over 600 miles each way to a breeder I found who raised her dogs as I planned to raise mine. Loved Scarlett so much that after a few months decided to get a second one from the same breeder. They are awesome dogs as you all know. And it's soo fun having two!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well, first of all, did your husband win the election?

Your discovery of Havanese is very similar to mine. We were camping and I was out walking my corgi in her wheelchair and a couple stopped and talked to me about my corgi. They were also wearing a Havanese on their forearm! I was charmed by their dog. When I eventually lost by corgi, Foxy, and started looking for another dog, I couldn't get their Havanese out of my mind. Everything I read about the breed fit what I was seeking - small, non-shedding, smart, friendly, lap dog, generally healthy, not a recreational barker, etc.
Unfortunately, my husband did not win the election. He made a very good showing, though, especially for a liberal in a conservative enclave. :)

I told him a wanted a little dog when he was a Senator and gone all the time. It was kind of an excuse. I'd made it through eight deployments without him or a dog--I just wanted a Havanese. :smile2:

Smokey was being cute this week.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have allergies was number one which also seemed to cover the no shedding.
Energy and The Love and Affection sold us.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts