Havanese Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,216 Posts
Unfortunately, my husband did not win the election. He made a very good showing, though, especially for a liberal in a conservative enclave. :)

I told him a wanted a little dog when he was a Senator and gone all the time. It was kind of an excuse. I'd made it through eight deployments without him or a dog--I just wanted a Havanese. :smile2:

Smokey was being cute this week.
Smokey is adorable and looks like a real love bug! Also, thank your hubby for his service to our country.

·
Registered
102 Posts
We chose a Havanese for all the usual reasons. Small, easily picked up, no shed, adorable, etc. What we got exceded our expectations, although being older this time through the puppy trials was exhausting. Our last puppy was 11 years ago, & he was a perfect puppy, literally. This little girl was somewhat preoccupied with figuring out her new world, & although confident, she was cognizant of her size & showed caution when warranted, like being out to do business at night. She still, at almost 9 months, becomes hyper alert to danger outside at night.
What we have realized about her vs all the other dogs we have raised & loved, is besides being relentlessly happy, with a joy for life, she has never exhibited any aggression with food, toys, her space, or handling by us or strangers like the vet. She has always been happy with new people & kids, & tolerates without resistance nail trimming, hair trimming, clippers etc. She is happy to give kisses when we are done with whatever needed to be done. She is a real sweetie, that’s for sure, & did I mention she’s adorable?! Saw a fridge magnet today that said, ‘When God made Havanese, He was just showing off’

·
Premium Member
4,216 Posts
What we have realized about her vs all the other dogs we have raised & loved, is besides being relentlessly happy, with a joy for life, she has never exhibited any aggression with food, toys, her space, or handling by us or strangers like the vet. She has always been happy with new people & kids, & tolerates without resistance nail trimming, hair trimming, clippers etc. She is happy to give kisses when we are done with whatever needed to be done. She is a real sweetie, that's for sure, & did I mention she's adorable?! Saw a fridge magnet today that said, 'When God made Havanese, He was just showing off'
Willow is great with strangers EXCEPT KIDS! She does not like kids at all. Of course she is a kid magnet. I just have to let the moms know when I see a kid approaching when we camp. Just little kids. Once they get to be a little more than my waist high, she's ok.

By the way, I love that magnet quote!

·
Registered
16 Posts
We choose havanese for several reasons. They are hypoallergenic, don't shed, are smart but are also little clowns, they bark when someone is at the door but welcome whoever it is once they come in, they are loyal and loving, they have such varying personalities, they are great in pairs and we like having 2, they also have such versatile hair, they are cute cut really short ( like my girl in my avatar) and are beautiful with long hair too, they train easily and are eager to please. They are just the best little companions you could ask for in my opinion. I've had different breeds throughout my life,(lab, chiuahua, and a couple of mixed breeds) but none compare to the havanese in my book.

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,649 Posts
We choose havanese for several reasons. They are hypoallergenic, don't shed, are smart but are also little clowns, they bark when someone is at the door but welcome whoever it is once they come in, they are loyal and loving, they have such varying personalities, they are great in pairs and we like having 2, they also have such versatile hair, they are cute cut really short ( like my girl in my avatar) and are beautiful with long hair too, they train easily and are eager to please. They are just the best little companions you could ask for in my opinion. I've had different breeds throughout my life,(lab, chiuahua, and a couple of mixed breeds) but none compare to the havanese in my book.
I also feel that they look awesome in either short or long hair. My husband says when we trim Mia short it takes 10 years off of her and she looks more puppy like (she is almost 11). However, I do it mainly so I can find ticks easily which are soon to be popping out in spring!

Nancy

·
Registered
675 Posts
Oliver literally goes up to strangers (children and adults alike) lays down, flips on his back and demands belly scratches! It's adorable! I swear he's gotten vain from everyone telling him how cute he is! LOL

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Havanese don't shed. They have people hair. Much like poodles who don't shed or smell like a furry dog. A little hair gets caught in combs and brushes and will drop out, like your own hair. It's unusual for there to be a lot of shedding. That is one of the major reasons I choose this breed and why I've had poodles previously.

In addition, I wanted a small dog, but not a tiny fragile dog. In the summers we move to a small townhome in the mountains with no yard. I wanted a dog who could do a little hiking but didn't have be exercised. They're small enough they can get enough exercise doing pirouettes and dashing around the house, if you don't want to or it's inconvenient to walk them. A biggie for me, was these dogs are easily indoor housebroken if you start them as a puppy.

Most of all they're beautiful, cute dogs. I love! the long hair and short puppy cuts. OTHO ... these little beauties are high hair maintenance. Less so with a puppy cut.

Plus ... Cuddly. Smart. Easily trainable. Great with kids. The grandkids adore playing with and loving on her.

·
Premium Member
3,469 Posts
I just reread most of this great thread. I didn't take the time to reply to each post, but I'm grateful for them all. That God quote is a riot, BTW! (I also especially liked the story of Tom King's daughter . . .)

41 - 51 of 51 Posts