Havanese Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My guy Leo is about to turn 8 months and has all of a sudden taking sleeping on his pee grate. We're using the Rascal Litter box http://rascaldoglitterbox.com/ (without the grass) and we're just about at the point where we want to ween him off of it (especially with this new development). Why in the world is has he taken to laying in his own pee? He usually wont do this when he's got a towel or blanket to lay on but I have also so seen him do it WITH a towel or blanket in his pen. Should I be concerned? Any ideas why in the world he's doing this??? My understanding is that dog's generally don't sleep where they use urinate or poop. What's going on?

·
Registered
531 Posts
When Maccabee is not feeling well, he sometimes lies in his litter box. He had not done so in a very long time, then I awoke to fine him in his litter box when he was most symptomatic with his newly diagnosed liver shunt.

I am NOT suggesting Leo has a liver shunt. But, maybe he's feeling a little under the weather?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Funny you should mention that Tom, we are having an usually warm couple of days. So today that could be why. Still we caught him doing it the other day when it wasnt particularly warm. Pretty frustrating.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Metrowest, MA
29,178 Posts
Funny you should mention that Tom, we are having an usually warm couple of days. So today that could be why. Still we caught him doing it the other day when it wasnt particularly warm. Pretty frustrating.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Whatever the reason, I think I would be really vigilant that the pads (or whatever you are using) are always clean. (meaning clean it EVERY time he pees... don't wait until the end of the day, and make sure you wipe down the grate too) I think you need to make sure that he starts to remember the habit of wanting his sleeping place to be completely clean all the time.

Also, make sure that he always has very clean bedding to sleep on elsewhere. If he has had an accident that you didn't notice, or even just tracked waste into/onto his bed area, that might be why he is avoiding it. (the Rascal Dog might seem like the cleaner option to him) Just something to think about.

Kodi did go through a fairly short phase where he peed in his bed. (I think now that his litter box was set up too close to the bed and he got confused... it happened while we were on vacation in our travel trailer and there was limited space) I just made sure I cleaned all his bedding IMMEDIATELY and thoroughly. (I spent a LOT of time in the camp ground laundries on that trip!;)) I was worried about it at the time, but by keeping everything scrupulously clean, he got past that phase quickly!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Karen,

REALLY appreciate this advice. Unfortunately with Leo he has a long history of peeing in his bed or blanket or whatever we give him to lay on.. As soon as we give him a clean bedding he'll pee on in it with a minute or two of receiving it. He's been doing this since he was a little puppy and he's still doing it. The only way we can keep him from peeing on any of his bedding is to put food down on it. That's about the only thing that will keep him from peeing on it. I'd love to buy him a comfy bed ( i know he'd love one)but I can't trust him NOT to pee on it. Any suggestions on how to stop that? I was hoping he'd grow out of it but there seems to be no end in sight.

Regardless, I think you're right, we're going to have to keep the grate as clean as possible. He has unfortunately taken to peeing not just on the grate but frequently peeing off of the side of the grate and on to the vinyl in his pen. So we're spend a lot of time cleaning up. I hope to high heavens that we can get him past this.. Pretty frustrating..

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
He is confused for sure. He doesn't know the difference between his bed or the potty area.He is 8mo old so that will be harder. Maddie liked my laundry basket for a long time to sleep in during that age. It was easy for her to get in and out so with the sides like that maybe you could keep food their for a while to see if he can keep his bedding clean.
Here is a picture of maddie and her laundry basket

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Holy crap that's adorable! Lol!

Yeah we can continue to put food on the bedding but i'm wondering if there will come a point where we can stop doing that. I don't want to have to smear food all over his bedding forever. :(

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Havanese are smart I would try it for a while and say no to sleeping on the potty area. I hope he gets turned around soon.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Suzie, you are so right about that. Leo is incredibly smart.. Looks like i'm gonna have to amp up my patience..

·
Jacqueline
1,090 Posts
^ Suzi, that pic is absolutely adorable, and I thought exactly what queryne posted, 'holy crap that's cute!'.

thanks for posting that pic.

·
Metrowest, MA
29,178 Posts
Karen,

REALLY appreciate this advice. Unfortunately with Leo he has a long history of peeing in his bed or blanket or whatever we give him to lay on.. As soon as we give him a clean bedding he'll pee on in it with a minute or two of receiving it. He's been doing this since he was a little puppy and he's still doing it. The only way we can keep him from peeing on any of his bedding is to put food down on it. That's about the only thing that will keep him from peeing on it. I'd love to buy him a comfy bed ( i know he'd love one)but I can't trust him NOT to pee on it. Any suggestions on how to stop that? I was hoping he'd grow out of it but there seems to be no end in sight.

Regardless, I think you're right, we're going to have to keep the grate as clean as possible. He has unfortunately taken to peeing not just on the grate but frequently peeing off of the side of the grate and on to the vinyl in his pen. So we're spend a lot of time cleaning up. I hope to high heavens that we can get him past this.. Pretty frustrating..
Did Leo come from a reptable breeder, or do you think he may be a puppy mill or BYB puppy? There are two reasons I ask. First, if he's from a reputable breeder, I would get in touch with the breeder for advice. I know I often did when Kodi was a pup and I needed advice on how to handle a "puppy problem".

Second, if he is from a pet store (puppy mill) or BYB, it is possible that he didn't learn to keep his waste away from his sleeping area as a pup. Puppies from these sources often have no choice but to sleep and eliminate in the same area. Even if he's from a questionable background, it DOESN'T mean that he can't learn. It just means that it is likely to take longer, and you will need to be more patient with the process.

·
Metrowest, MA
29,178 Posts
Holy crap that's adorable! Lol!

Yeah we can continue to put food on the bedding but i'm wondering if there will come a point where we can stop doing that. I don't want to have to smear food all over his bedding forever. :(
Well, you could use kibble or dry treat food. ;) I wouldn't be smearing wet food on bedding. Seems pretty unsanitary for all concerned!!!

·
Metrowest, MA
29,178 Posts
Havanese are smart I would try it for a while and say no to sleeping on the potty area. I hope he gets turned around soon.
I would NOT say "no" to any interaction with the potty box. It would be WAY too easy to convince him he shouldn't be near it at all, since he's already confused about what he should be doing where. Much better to find positive ways to encourage him to sleep elsewhere.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Karen thanks for the advice. Leo is a Starborn puppy and therefore I think I will reach out to the King's to see they can offer a little advice on this. His issue with peeing on bedding has been going on for a while. I thought he'd grow out of it but no such luck.

No way are we putting wet food on his bedding. LOL! It's generally kibble or something sort of hard treat. Appreciate the advice.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Karen thanks for the advice. Leo is a Starborn puppy and therefore I think I will reach out to the King's to see they can offer a little advice on this. His issue with peeing on bedding has been going on for a while. I thought he'd grow out of it but no such luck.

No way are we putting wet food on his bedding. LOL! It's generally kibble or something sort of hard treat. Appreciate the advice.
Definitely reach out to Pam & Tom. As I'm sure you already know, they are wonderful people and are happy to help with "their" puppies long after they leave their home. Pam has helped me via telephone and email many times, and Tom has done the same via this forum. In fact, Tom has posted here many times regarding potty training. I'm sure he'll eventually jump in, but I wouldn't wait. Give them a call.

·
Metrowest, MA
29,178 Posts

Oh! I forgot he was a Starborn pup!!! Now I remember that we talked about the fact that he and Kodi looked alike as puppies! Yes, PLEASE call Pam and have her help you trouble shoot. She was a BIG help to me whenever I ran into trouble as Kodi was growing up.

As far as outgrowing it is concerned, I think ti's something that you really have to work at. I know that Pam and Tom are RELIGIOUS about keeping the puppies on clean bedding. That's why I knew I had to do that too, the few times that Kodi peed on his bedding. (though he was younger than Leo... it was during his first summer with us, so before he was 5 months old)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts