Havanese Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will be picking Oreo up this week, wondering if his color will stay or if he will eventually turn all white ? I love him the way he is but im just curious!

·
Metrowest, MA
28,950 Posts
He will not turn all white, for sure. Chocolates do often lighten up, but not always. It’s not really possible to tell. His breeder would have a better guess, based on other dogs in her line, and whether they tend to stay dark or not. But even then, there are no guarantees with chocolates.

Reactions: Laura M.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He will not turn all white, for sure. Chocolates do often lighten up, but not always. It’s not really possible to tell. His breeder would have a better guess, based on other dogs in her line, and whether they tend to stay dark or not. But even then, there are no guarantees with chocolates.
Breeder also told me he has undescended testicle.. is that a manor issue? 2 of his siblings also have an over bite and underbite ?

·
Metrowest, MA
28,950 Posts
Breeder also told me he has undescended testicle.. is that a manor issue? 2 of his siblings also have an over bite and underbite ?
It means that he MUST be neutered, because it is a health risk for him to remain intact. It is SLIGHTLY more expensive surgery than a typical neuter… more what someone would pay for a spay on a female puppy.

The fact that littermates have bad bites don’t really affect this puppy if his bite is good. I would assume you are only considering this puppy as a pet anyway? A dog with only one descended testicle should never be bred.

However, if you are concerned about the breeder for OTHER reasons, the time to walk is BEFORE you get too attached to the puppy. Were both parents fully health tested? Are the puppies being properly raised in the breeders home, in an enriching environment? Are they being properly potty trained from a young age? Will they be BAER tested before you take the puppy home? Those are more important things than color, descended testicles or perfect bites. (in pet puppies)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Our girl is chocolate and white haired, chocolate pigmented. She started very dark brown, then lightened a lot, and now is getting dark again. She is almost 6 months old. When we get her first hair cut she’s going to look so different, but I was just looking at her puppy pictures and she was so dark then.

Dog Liver Dog breed Fawn Companion dog
Road surface Automotive tire Flooring Asphalt Floor

1 - 5 of 5 Posts