Havanese Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pippa is almost three, and I'm a little worried about her. For the past week or so, she has been sleeping more than usual, doesn't seem interested in doing much and distances herself. She's up and ready for a walk, though, at a moment's notice and gets excited when someone comes to the house. We thought it might be that she was staying inside more because she was hot and it is warming up outside. Getting her clipped hasn't seemed to make much of a difference. I would guess that if there was something really wrong, it wouldn't matter what was going on around her. Thoughts?

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,318 Posts
I would have the vet check her out, including blood tests and testing the thyroid. Hypothyroidism is common and can cause behavior changes. However, it could be other things too.

Is she eating and drinking normally?

My Mia does get pretty lazy in summer because she hates heat and humidity so weather could be part of it. However, good idea to make sure.

·
Registered
122 Posts
If her personality is drastically different all of a sudden, a vet checkup may be in order. If everything checks out well then it could be the heat. I noticed that Piper was lazier/sleepier than usual during our first 90-degree weather day.

·
Arf! Arf!
3,367 Posts
I am not a canine medical professional, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but I think the advice above is good.

I have some questions, could PIPPA be going into heat right now? Have you changed anything in her diet or medications recently?

I know that RICKY isn't quite as active as a 7 year old as a 1 year old. He does sleep quite a bit during the day as well as all night. However, he is up in an instant whenever I ask him if he wants to go for a ride, do some training, go for walkies, play a game, or he is hungry. When the doorbell rings and we have company, he is Mr. Extrovert! I posted a survey a couple of years ago about how much a member's Havanese slept during the day. As I recall the average number of hours for an adult Havanese (which PIPPA is) was about 6 hours per day. If you search HF, the survey is still there someplace.

So perhaps she has a medical issue or perhaps there is nothing wrong and she is now an adult and her puppy days are long gone. Keep us posted if you find out anything.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, all, for the good advice.. She's never been a big eater, so that hasn't changed that I can tell. Drinking seems fine. She's definitely not in heat (or a miracle has occurred - she was fixed last year), no meds and diet is the same. It seems like her behavior changed some when the weather started warming up - we thought it might be because she was too warm, and got her clipped fairly short which didn't seem to make a difference. When I mentioned distancing, in the evenings she's taken to sleeping under a particular living room chair as opposed to on it or on the area rug. The only other thing that has changed is that it is tick season (yuk). She has a Seresto collar that works really well, but one or two ticks made themselves comfortable before we started using it for the summer. Have you any experience with your dogs and lyme disease? I've looked at the symptoms and she doesn't have a fever or seem to be in any discomfort. With all that said, a trip to the vet is probably in order. She really hates going.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thanks, all, for the good advice.. She's never been a big eater, so that hasn't changed that I can tell. Drinking seems fine. She's definitely not in heat (or a miracle has occurred - she was fixed last year), no meds and diet is the same. It seems like her behavior changed some when the weather started warming up - we thought it might be because she was too warm, and got her clipped fairly short which didn't seem to make a difference. When I mentioned distancing, in the evenings she's taken to sleeping under a particular living room chair as opposed to on it or on the area rug. The only other thing that has changed is that it is tick season (yuk). She has a Seresto collar that works really well, but one or two ticks made themselves comfortable before we started using it for the summer. Have you any experience with your dogs and lyme disease? I've looked at the symptoms and she doesn't have a fever or seem to be in any discomfort. With all that said, a trip to the vet is probably in order. She really hates going.
She could be under the chair because it's cooler/shadier there for her, like a cozy little cave. Going to the vet is never fun, but if anything a check up may give you some quality peace of mind! 🙂

·
Arf! Arf!
3,367 Posts
When I mentioned distancing, in the evenings she's taken to sleeping under a particular living room chair as opposed to on it or on the area rug.
My RICKY has always preferred to sleep under furniture. In fact, I am sitting on top of him right now as I post this, while he is under the couch. I can feel him bumping my butt right now as he shifts his position underneath. I can't speak about your dog, but I consider RICKY 100% healthy and well adjusted. If I get up and go to the bedroom, he will crawl out from under the sofa, follow me into the bedroom and crawl under the bed to continue his snooze.

·
Registered
397 Posts
She could be under the chair because it's cooler/shadier there for her, like a cozy little cave. Going to the vet is never fun, but if anything a check up may give you some quality peace of mind! 🙂
Sorry to hear Pippa is not her usual self. Agree with everything everyone else has said, but especially what NotAMuggle says above, get her checked just for your peace of mind more than anything. I 99% predict that she will start performing circus tricks on the vet table just to show you up🤣because THAT IS THE LAW when it comes to animals and children🙄😘

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,318 Posts
New information has come out about the Seresto collar. Many dogs have died. I would stop using it.

It could be many things, however every year when it turns super hot Mia becomes lazier. Just think...dogs may have gone through a super cold winter and then suddenly it is 90 degrees. I think they need time to adjust, but Mia is lazy all summer. have your heard of the “dog days of summer”? Dogs protect themself by not moving around as much. They may seek out cooler floors. I used to worry about Mia when the weather warmed up, but this has been going on for 13 years and she is fine. If we get a cool day she gets the zoomies. I have a feeling those Havanese dogs in Cuba were laying around on stone floors taking it easy.

That being said, it is good to check things out. The Seresto flea collar also could be affecting her. And if you do heartworm drugs also, that is a double whammy.

I do not use flea preventatives. They do get ticks but they have never gotten sick from any of them. I prefer to take my chances with the ticks vs. the poisons but that is a decision everyone needs to make for themself. I wish you the best!

·
Metrowest, MA
27,955 Posts
ANY change of behavior, especially following a tick bite, IMO, warrants running a tick panel. Symptoms for tick borne diseases are very variable and can be subtle until they have been going on for a long time. It is best to cure them (and easy to cure!) if they are caught early. A tick panel is a simple blood test and not terribly expensive. I’ll have my vet run one if one of my dogs twitches funny. …But then I live close to ground zero for Lyme!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I SO got a chuckle out of the circus trick comment - thank you for that. I could see that happening. I will call the vet today. That's bad news about the Seresto collar. I pulled three ticks off me yesterday, and two dead ones off Pippa. We live in Tick Central, and the collar works really well. I should have to research alternatives, and see if the vet can recommend something else. Thanks to all again.

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,318 Posts
I SO got a chuckle out of the circus trick comment - thank you for that. I could see that happening. I will call the vet today. That's bad news about the Seresto collar. I pulled three ticks off me yesterday, and two dead ones off Pippa. We live in Tick Central, and the collar works really well. I should have to research alternatives, and see if the vet can recommend something else. Thanks to all again.
I live in tick central too and the ticks are a absolutely horrid this year! Peak tick season starts April 1 and starts tapering off mid June. I have had eight tick bites myself . I have pulled at least a hundred off the dogs so far this season. The main tick disease we have is Ehrlichiosis, not as much Lyme. We have a few others too. I know a few dogs who have gotten tick borne diseases. All of them were on “preventatives”. I believe that if the immune system is strong, the dog is not going to succumb and that using poisons on our dogs tears down the immune system and makes them more susceptible to disease. Everyone is entitled to their opinion on this but that is mine. I can definitely see why people reach for the poison though. Please let us know how things go.

·
Premium Member
4,103 Posts
Willow's sleeping habits change from time to time. She will favor one particular place for a while then will decide she wants to be somewhere else for a while. She likes the floor when the house feels hot.

We have ticks where I live but not as many as some places. I've been using K9 Advantix II on Willow and also used it on my prior dog. I never have had a problem with it. I suppose if you Googled it there would be some problems noted for some, just like any medication. Nothing is perfect for everyone. The only reaction I see is some itching at the application sites for a day or two. I have not found any fleas or ticks on her since using it. Before I used it on Willow, she did have a couple of ticks.

Good luck and let us know what the vet says about Pippa.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
.... Have you any experience with your dogs and lyme disease? I've looked at the symptoms and she doesn't have a fever or seem to be in any discomfort. With all that said, a trip to the vet is probably in order. She really hates going.
As Karen said - the symptoms do vary - but with my Mom's dog (who does have lyme's - and it does NOT go away, just goes dormant) it's when he gets more lethargic AND seems a bit gimpy, we know it's flaring again and take him to the vet for meds.

·
Metrowest, MA
27,955 Posts
As Karen said - the symptoms do vary - but with my Mom's dog (who does have lyme's - and it does NOT go away, just goes dormant) it's when he gets more lethargic AND seems a bit gimpy, we know it's flaring again and take him to the vet for meds.
That only happens, however, if the dog has it for long enough that it becomes a chronic infection. If it is treated immediately, it can be completely cured. The dog will still have the antibodies, that is for sure. But not the disease.

Reactions: Melissa Brill

·
Premium Member
1,443 Posts
To me it doesn't sound like there's anything wrong with you three-year-old. My Patti is three-years-old and my daughter asked the other day: Is something wrong Patti's sleeping? It's gotten very Hot and Humid here in Oklahoma. Patti is still active, gets the Zombies every now and then. Gets excited when the deer are outside. As dogs age they slow down a bit and aren't puppy like all the time.

I know these dogs are from Cuba but my Patti really!! likes cool weather and hates hot summer days. She's even started pooping and peeing on your indoor potty trays because she not wanting to go to outside. LOL!!!

Pippa is excited to walk and interested in people coming around. Doesn't sound like there's a problem to me.

·
Owned by a Havallon
2,318 Posts
The difference in heat tolerance between my yorkie and Mia is significant. Mia hates heat and humidity. My yorkie who is almost solid black will dig like a maniac in bright sun when it is 90 degrees. He will also try to walk when it is much too hot. I have to be careful with him because he could overdo it in the heat. No chance of that happening with Mia!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts