Havanese Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:brushteeth: I need some advice. All of a sudden Izzie is eating her poop out of her litter box. She is so fast that she grabs it up before I can scoop it out. This is so disgusting!!! I am in shock.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Oh no! I can understand your surprise because it would be little more shocking since she wasn’t doing it early on! My puppy had a curiosity towards other dogs’ poop, but that’s much easier to avoid. Hopefully someone with an indoor trained puppy will tell you what they did, because a few people have been able to manage it.

·
Member (Teresa)
653 Posts
There was quite a thread very recently concerning the issue of dogs eating their own, and others, poop. I can't remember the title of the thread but maybe it will come to me after a good night's sleep.

·
Owned by a Havallon
1,873 Posts
I have heard that giving probiotics and digestive enzymes can help, however I cannot say from personal experience. It is something easy and harmless to try.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Hopefully someone will find that recent thread for you, Rosalyn. That would be quite a shock since it's a new thing. And I suppose you don't always have eyes on her when she's in her litter box ... Ugh. At least you found the tooth brushing smilie. :grin2:

:flypig: (Remember this smilie is a heart for me ...)

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Izzie is 6 months old. She never attempted to eat the outside poop but only the one in the litter box. I contacted my breeder and she suggested some chew pills that I ordered from Amazon. However, for the last few days, I noticed that Izzie has lost interest in her litter box poop as well and the pills have not even arrived yet. My breeder also suggested that I work on the "leave it" training and not to make a big deal of it so Izzie won't think it's a fun game. I am not sure if it was an attention-getting thing or what. It has stopped suddenly just like it started suddenly. Thank goodness. No yuck mouth for the last couple of days.

·
Metrowest, MA
26,636 Posts
Izzie is 6 months old. She never attempted to eat the outside poop but only the one in the litter box. I contacted my breeder and she suggested some chew pills that I ordered from Amazon. However, for the last few days, I noticed that Izzie has lost interest in her litter box poop as well and the pills have not even arrived yet. My breeder also suggested that I work on the "leave it" training and not to make a big deal of it so Izzie won't think it's a fun game. I am not sure if it was an attention-getting thing or what. It has stopped suddenly just like it started suddenly. Thank goodness. No yuck mouth for the last couple of days.
Oh, thank heavens! It's something I have not had to deal with, and I'm very glad that I haven't!

·
Premium Member
1,206 Posts
Izzy is very young and Testing (Tasting) Out Things. One or two bites does not make a Poop Eater. :laugh2:

When Patti was a puppy she gave her poop a lick and a taste but didn't develop into a poop eater. As a puppy Patti was very interested in checking out her poop and I removed her or the poop right away. During winter walks she loved to carry around Poop-cycles which I always removed.

She outgrew all of that. Most or a lot of puppies Love! to carry around Poop-cycles - to play with not to eat. 💩

Someone on this forum had a Havanese that was a poop eater but she eventually stopped that gross behavior to humans by using Treats. When she took him outside to do his/her job, she quickly scooped up the poop said Treat and gave the dog a yummy treat. Did the same thing indoors with poop on the potty tray. She said, she thought the dog would always be a poop eater but notice one day he/she was no longer interested.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts